Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jonah and I won 1st place in our small Beg Nov A group on Saturday. I was surprised because his heeling and attention was not what we have had at fun matches and such. After viewing the video of us I realized that I think the judge slashed me with a point or maybe more? I was lining Jonah up for the figure 8 and did a little bitty tug on the leash to get his attention and saw the judge make a pencil mark. I guess I can't do anything like that to get my dog's attention? What is or isn't allowed between exercises? Could I tap my dog on the shoulder to get his attention or something like that?

·
Kate
21,659 Posts
Congrats!!!

Always fun to get those blue ribbons. :)

A little tug on the leash... I'm honestly not sure what is judged or not? With my previous golden I did a little "hey you" reminder when we got set up. But I don't do that with my current guy.

Did the judge explain what she took points off for?

To answer your question - unlike rally where you are judged from the instant you enter the ring to the time you leave, you can talk to your dog and give him huggles and pats between exercises. Like after the heeling portion and the judge is waiting for her stewards to take their position for the figure 8, you can take a few extra seconds to loosen up your dog, huggle, do scoots, focus work on your way over to the start position.

You can also take your dog by the collar (when he's off leash) to guide him from exercise to exercise, but if you can avoid that it's best. My sister nearly got kicked out of the ring because she had a tough time finding her dog's collar in his ruff and wound up grabbing some of his fur in addition to the chain.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Congratulations on your leg and placement :)

The judge can and should deduct points for leash correction and many judges will also score a tap on the forehead / chest / shoulder if done in a way that is obviously a correction rather than praise or play - this would be considered a correction. You may play, praise and interact with your dog for setups and between exercises, so you are better off teaching your dog to touch, come up, set up etc between exercises. If you cannot regain your dogs attention, you might be better off correcting and taking the score hit, just as if you loose your dog heeling it is sometimes best to give another command and take the hit. These corrections can also be taken as you enter the ring and leave the ring - you are under judgement as soon as you enter the ring.

A watch command can also come in handy between exercises.

Good luck

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
wooooo hoooo, congratulations!!!! great job!

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Congrats!!! And a first place as a bonus, very cool.

As for the attention, I would avoid using the leash as it can easily be seen as a correction. I will sometimes do a touch on the head, but thats only if I'm desperate.

I play a fun game in training called "Ready!" I have dog in heel position, say ready, then drop a treat from my shoulder. The dogs head should be right down from the shoulder. Then I release the dog and set up again. Once the dog is consistently looking up for the treat on "Ready," sometimes I will just tap my shoulder. Sometimes I will tap, pause, then drop a treat. I phase out the treat, but never all the way. And I almost always tap before starting exercises, but always on heeling.

Translation into the ring: My response to the judge's "Are you ready?" is "Ready!" Makes the dog's head shoot up and then off we go!

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Congrats, sounds like you have a good start going! One good thing about you giving him a little pop with the leash is that now you know not to, and will not do it again:) Check out the obedience rule book, it will provide you with a wealth of information. You can read it online, and sometimes pick them up from the Superintenent's table at shows.

Good Luck at your next show!!

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Congrats on the leg and the placement!

Anytime you do something to cause a tight leash, it can be scoreable.

A tap to regain attention is considered training in the ring by many judges, which is not allowed. You can, however, have a cue between exercises for the dog to touch you. That is why many people teach their dog a nose bridge. As they are lining up they put thier fingers above the dog's head and the dog lifts his head to touch the fingers. That is allowed.

Holding onto the collar between exercises is only allowed in novice. I wouldn't recommend it. It's a pretty big mood flattener for most dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts