Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever put Flaxseed in dog food. This time put it in. My last bin I grabbed to bag was upstairs. I ran to get it. I was gone 15 sec and Logan had his head in one bag of food. I weighed it. He ate 1lb. When I was scooping it into bags at the end, I had to avoid his mouth. He wanted more. Wonder how much he would gobbled down if he could. I would like to have freezer full of raw one day. Might be 700lbs to fill. This batch 67 days.

Ingredients

Chicken carcus (grinded)
hearts
liver
gizzard

60lbs of hamburger (1.99lb)
fish body oil
flaxseed oil
apple cider vinegar
garlic
apples
bananas
alpha sprout
potatoes
carrots
kelp
10 cans sardines
7 and half dozen boiled eggs with shell (food processor)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
That sounds amazing. Toby says he would like to come and have dinner! :)
I've put a bit of ground flax seed into his food on occasion, as well as e bit of hemp hearts. Perfect balance of omega-3 and -6; you can't go wrong. Just one thing: Logan may poop a LOT tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I love hemp hearts. They're almost as smooth and creamy as pine nuts, but just a little nuttier. Delicious! The cost depends on where you buy them and whether or not they're organic. Ranges between $12.00 - $18.00 CAD per pound, usually.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Wow, I'm sure your boys love you!

Do you have one of those industrial sized grinders or a hand crank one? I have a hand crank and every now and again I think about perhaps putting something together for my boy.

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had one from Canadian tire. Broke with in 1 minute. If the gears inside are plastic, don,t risk it. You will be cursing my name. lol

here,s a quote from someone about yours.

When I was researching grinders for Chelsy, I checked into getting an attachment for my Kitchenaid. Everything I read said that the Kitchenaid grinder attachment had plastic parts and did not hold up well at all (just for regular items, not even considering bones).

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
LOL! I don't think I'd ever be cursing your name. KitchenAid's, possibly. I have a 300W KitchenAid stand mixer with a grinder attachment, and the gears are definitely not plastic. It muscles its way through heavy bread dough and all kinds of other abuse, so I'm hoping it will have the "ooomph" to tackle a some Tobyfood. Toby would like that. Yup. He likes food.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I had a look at it. The blade and plates are metal (obviously), but the auger is made of plastic. I know it works fine for meat and fruit, but I doubt it would hold up with bone. When you ground up the chicken, did you just chop it into chunks (bones and all) and put it through the grinder? What is the auger in your grinder made of - is it metal?

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a look at it. The blade and plates are metal (obviously), but the auger is made of plastic. I know it works fine for meat and fruit, but I doubt it would hold up with bone. When you ground up the chicken, did you just chop it into chunks (bones and all) and put it through the grinder? What is the auger in your grinder made of - is it metal?
For chicken legs I rip them in half. My chicken carcass comes in pieces. Metal gears on Sam baere meat grinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts