Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a couple of months of waiting (although is seemed like forever) we will be bringing our puppy home for the first time tomorrow. I have to admit, I am feeling a bit of anxiety as I want to make sure we do everything we can to provide our new addition with everything he needs to be happy and healthy.

What we have done thus far:

1.) Got the crate. The crate is a bit large but what are you gonna do. It comes with an adjustable divider, so I figure I can section it off then increase the size as the puppy grows. Added several blankets.

2.) Leash and collar. Picked up a leash and collar.

3.) Puppy proofed the rooms where the puppy will be able play.

Things to be done:

1.) Define "the schedule". Tonight, we are going to construct the puppy schedule. When to feed, play, go out, go to bed, train, etc., etc.

2.) Pickup toys. Will be visiting Petco or a local shop to pick up 10 to 15 toys that we can rotate to keep things interesting. Need to get a good duck.

3.) Double check the "puppy-proofness" of our place.

4.) Begin the search for puppy school/classes. This is something I should have already done but, well, I didn't.

5.) Decide on a name; the battle rages on! :)

Looking for advice on:

1.) Puppy food. This seems to be a topic that people have strong opinions about. I would like to make sure the puppy grows slowly, which is apparently better for bone and muscle development. I understand I need to control the amount and type of food that I provide for the pup.

2.) Exercise during the winter months. Well, here in New England it's been sub 40 for what feels like an eternity now. The ground is still covered with snow and ice. What are some good options for addressing that puppy energy when it's freezing outside.

3.) The first night home. Any tips?

Anyway, here we go.:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh boy! It's fun, but challenging.
Advice for #2- running around the family room is good for a while. Doesn't get that cold where I am, so I'm not sure about the outside.
#3- Don't let the crying/whining get to you during the first few nights. It will go away, unless you let the pup know that you will come everytime they fuss.

Have fun! Come back with more questions...the users here are very helpful and very friendly.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Hi! I'm a relatively new puppy owner myself (Tess came 1 month ago), also in New England! It seems you've already done a lot of thinking! About your food question: What does your breeder feed the puppies now? If that is a very poor quality food, you might think of switching, but otherwise why would you? My pup is on Eukanuba LB Puppy, and although some people say there are far better foods available, she does great on it so far. If I am going to switch, I won't do it before I have to change to adult food anyhow, so around 6 months.
Your second question: do you have a basement? My puppy loves running around in the basement. Still cold, but not as cold as outside.
The third: It depends a bit on when you bring the puppy home...I brought Tess home in the morning, so she had had a good chance to sniff around before it became evening and time to go to bed. I have my crate downstairs,off the kitchen, and the first day I did a lot of games with her involving the crate: putting treats inside, anything to get her inside and make her comfortable, all without closing the door. At the end of the day she would go in by herself and that would be the first time to close the crate for a few moments...Open again, puppy comes out, goes in, etc. By nighttime she got in on her own and slept straight through the night.

Make sure to have your camera at hand! You won't believe how fast they grow! Oh, and it really helps if you put a cover on the crate. Also: I took some toys (like a soft dog to lie on) with me to the breeder when I picked her up. I talked for about an hour with the breeder before leaving, and all that time those toys were in the X pen, with the rest of the litter. So when we came home, I put that doggy inside her crate. She still sleeps on it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! I'm a relatively new puppy owner myself (Tess came 1 month ago), also in New England! It seems you've already done a lot of thinking! About your food question: What does your breeder feed the puppies now? If that is a very poor quality food, you might think of switching, but otherwise why would you? My pup is on Eukanuba LB Puppy, and although some people say there are far better foods available, she does great on it so far. If I am going to switch, I won't do it before I have to change to adult food anyhow, so around 6 months.
Your second question: do you have a basement? My puppy loves running around in the basement. Still cold, but not as cold as outside.
The third: It depends a bit on when you bring the puppy home...I brought Tess home in the morning, so she had had a good chance to sniff around before it became evening and time to go to bed. I have my crate downstairs,off the kitchen, and the first day I did a lot of games with her involving the crate: putting treats inside, anything to get her inside and make her comfortable, all without closing the door. At the end of the day she would go in on herself and that would be the first time to close the crate for a few moments...Open again, puppy comes out, goes in, etc. By nighttime she got in on her own and slept straight through the night.

Make sure to have your camera at hand! You won't believe how fast they grow!
Great stuff. We had figured on just following what the breeder has been feeding the pup. I agree that there is probably no reason to deviate from the food the puppy is currently eating.

We will be picking him up at 11:30AM tomorrow. I really like the idea of playing the games with the create, probably going to try that; thanks!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
3.) Double check the "puppy-proofness" of our place.

This made me laugh.....puppy proofness! We also went with the large crate with divider and at 19 weeks Murphy is now using the whole crate.
Don't forget to leave your coat and easy slip on boots/shoes by the door your puppy will have to potty in that sub 40 temp. Spring can't come soon enough for me.
Don't forget to take lots of pictures and share them here with us.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! The name battle might come to an end once you put the puppy and personality together.

Where are you getting your new puppy from? Do you live somewhere in the North? Get your gloves and boots ready for potty training.

It sounds like you've got things under control! I'm so jealous of your upcoming puppy-love!

We want pictures!! :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My puppy came home on Purina Puppy Chow. I switched him over to Innova Large Breed Puppy.

I put the crate in the bedroom with me for the first couple of nights. The pup is used to sleeping with its littermates, so having someone in the room with him keeps him from feeling totally alone.

Can't help you too much with the cold weather. They just closed down schools here because temps are dropping into the 20's....that tells you how used to cold weather we are!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you getting your new puppy from?

We want pictures!! :)
We are getting our puppy from Twin-Beau-D in MA. And we have all the cold weather gear ready for the frequent trips outside. Snowing right now actually.

We'll have plenty of pics once we get him home.

·
Registered
318 Posts
How exciting!!! Enjoy your new addition!!!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Congrats! We're bringing our new puppy home tomorrow, too! We will no longer be a one Golden household as of tomorrow! :bowl:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I read that you can take a receiving blanket for babies and rub it on the mom and siblings to bring the scent home for your pup to sleep with. To help make the first night or two go smoothly. My breeder said it's okay and will allow us to do this little ritual. I have three weeks to go to get my pup. I enjoyed reading this post, it concurs with my checklist as well. Thanks for posting.

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

Here's a piece of advice that worked well for us. If you can get a plush toy before you go pick him up, or just grab a towel or old shirt and take it with you to rub some of the scent from the mom, and siblings if possible. I believe that helped a TON when we brought home Winchester. I sent a plush duck toy to the breeder a week ahead of time and put it in the crate with him at night. The first night he only woke up twice and hardly wined at all, 2nd night it was once to go outside with hardly any wining and by the third night he was sleeping all the way through. (okay, just notice Blondie just gave you this tip. LOL)

As for inside exersize, we have a lazer pointer for Winchester. :D It really wears him out!

I can't wait to see pictures!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts