Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

2023 Goals

1191 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  lilypad96
It's that time of year where I start thinking about the next years goals and how I'm going to achieve them. So I'm curious, what is everyone aiming for in 2023?
Reactions: chelseah
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Jamie
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything else depends on whether or not I bring home a new baby pup... ;) If new pup, I would be working on getting him (or her... but probably him) started on everything, which would take away extra time spent on misc. I kinda wanted to get both dogs into doing tracking - especially Glee because I think he would love it. He's already way too fast to work with his brother on tracks I lay out here at home.
New puppies are always fun, although very time-consuming. Tracking interests me too, just not enough time in the day right now. Definitely on my list to try someday though!

· Jamie
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My goals for 2023 are pretty boring, I will hopefully have two qual level dogs next spring so my goal will be running as many quals as I can. Everything else will take a backseat because I know my training schedule is going to be very intense. Rio was ready last summer to start running them, but with Burn in training I didn't have any extra money in the budget to travel for trials. Burn is done training after this winter trip (Jan-Apr) so we will be hitting the trial scene hard after that.

· Jamie
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Before I got Pinyon, I used to joke that I wanted a dog that did NOT make me a better trainer. Pinyon was that dog. He is easy to train and a joy to work with. Hawthorn is bringing me back to earth. He is forcing me to become a better trainer.
I always say that if Rio would have been my first dog, I would have an overinflated view of my training abilities lol. He's just the easiest dog to train. Luckily he wasn't, and my first dog did plenty to humble me. But now my youngest, Burn, is probably one of my biggest challenges, for the exact opposite reason that yours is, he's just a tough dog (mentally and physically).

That's probably one of my favorite things about having four dogs from just wildly different pedigrees is being able to train each one and learn what I like best about them. It's really helped me to develop a very thorough understanding of the type of dog I would like to produce someday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts