Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

2023 Goals

1192 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  lilypad96
It's that time of year where I start thinking about the next years goals and how I'm going to achieve them. So I'm curious, what is everyone aiming for in 2023?
Reactions: chelseah
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Kate
24,952 Posts
I hope I can finish my Jovi's CDX this year (one legged)... since I have him very well conditioned and working clean. But depends on both Jovi and I showing up with our brains in place the next couple trials. In which case, we will get that done next spring and start polishing for Utility. He knows all his utility exercises, but they are very rough (instilling phase). :D

Glee - I want to finish his CD (one legged) and get his CDX in short order. I have no concerns about CD, just need trials to enter where I'm not juggling both him and his brother. CDX he's somewhere between instilling skills and polishing phase right now. Things like getting him to keep his butt on the ground until I send him to retrieve, things like that. I

Same/usual goals in Conformation. I mainly need to get back to showing regularly. This year's been tough for getting my guys out + going out of state for the shows I want to do. Hope 2023 is a better year. :)

Anything else depends on whether or not I bring home a new baby pup... ;) If new pup, I would be working on getting him (or her... but probably him) started on everything, which would take away extra time spent on misc. I kinda wanted to get both dogs into doing tracking - especially Glee because I think he would love it. He's already way too fast to work with his brother on tracks I lay out here at home.

· Kate
24,952 Posts
So.... just found out that one of my entries for next month had to be returned because the trial had exceeded limits for that day. Good sign and news for the sport. But means my goals are shifting over to 2023 to finish CDX. :)

· Kate
24,952 Posts
That’s too bad. Trial in Michigan? I entered an open/utility only trial and haven’t heard back. Entries closed yesterday. Goldens have priority so my fingers are crossed!
Yep - last MI trial of 2022. Judges were very nice so I'd been hoping to get in. So we sit tight until Feb or March next year.

The trial secretary encouraged me to enter their trials in April and I said "sure, if you bring the same judges back!" <= Completely forgetting they already have the judges set up and the one judge is somebody I would be very careful about showing to (no negatives about her judging, just that we train in the same classes so it feels weird). 🤷‍♀️

· Kate
24,952 Posts
Thought maybe that was the case. Is Dayton too far? They have trials on the first weekend on the new year. Entered Pilot in rally Saturday and obedience Sunday. Ihonestly only have a couple of judges I don’t show to. If you get the chance to show to Alvin Eng, do it! He’s great! I also don’t show to people I train with.
Dayton is a bit far in January - but who knows. Maybe if we get closer to the date and we are having mild weather as far as ice and snow goes and my mom is well enough to travel.... I might be tempted? But usually, only show I've done in January is the big show cluster that's normally 10 minutes from my house. And even that's a bit dicey depending on the weather.

The older judges out there are... many of them are a treasure.

Separate thing I've been puzzling over.... if you were at a trial and sitting there with your dog basically in front of you with your arms casually around him while you watch utility, etc.... And you have a big dog owned by somebody you know and have trained with and like very much.... but her dog literally comes flying at your dog and fortunately was more interested in posturing vs tearing his face off.... How would you handle?

I literally had a huge doberman lunge at my Jovi who was zenning out in front of me. I had my arms around him and was keeping him contained in our space (tight seating), and suddenly this dog lunged at us and I saw his face and paws flying at my dog in slow motion while he snarled. He seemed more interested in pinning my dog and coming down on top of him? Then really attacking? I kinda hauled Jovi closer and leaned over him to put my head and shoulders between that dog and Jovi's face... basically before he was pulled away.

Jovi is a good dog and complete sweetness - I swear he wagged his tail at this dog and showed no fear or panic. So the whole thing passed. But I literally was wondering what I should do on the way home. o_O The owner is older than my mom and very sweet and she has good control over her dog. Her daughter had been holding the leash when the incident happened and had no control over him. So basically I did not want to call her on the carpet and have a mark put against her dog....and I don't want to do that. But am wondering if I should mention something to her to kinda let her know what almost happened?

· Kate
24,952 Posts
It sounds like she’s a training buddy you like. I would mention it. If Jovi did something like that, wouldn’t you want to know so you could keep it from happening again? All reporting it would have done was to give the club a reason to ban her dog. AKC won’t do anything unless there’s blood.
Huh - I guess I've not paid close attention to any rules regarding dog aggression at trials. I kinda thought that reporting the incident would require the judge excuse the dog? Which goes on the dog's record???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts