Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It starts a month from today. I will do my best to provide photos and descriptions of the tests and report my first hand observations, whatever that is worth.
Here is a link to the list of dogs qualified. Unless I missed something there are three Peaks and the rest are all Labs. There will be two Goldens qualified at the specialty derby next Tuesday, a few more opportunities every weekend until the National starts. Seventy dogs are currently qualified, I would guesstimate 55-65 will enter the National.

https://www.theretrievernews.com/2022nrdcquals.htmlI

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
80 dogs listed are now qualified. Only one Golden, the second place dog at the specialty ages out before the national so not eligible. This is a legitimate criticism of the event, many good dogs have unfortunate birthdays. Dogs that turn 2 years old before the start of the event are not eligible.
There were actually quite a few Goldens at the last derby we ran, 5 maybe 6.

Lily ran an outstanding trial and placed 2nd. That gives her 8 points, need ten to make "The Derby List" whatever that's worth, prestige I guess.
Plant Dog Sky Dog breed Carnivore

The dog that won is the high point derby dog right now but has an unlucky birthday, ages out after this weekend.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the entry for the national derby championship closed last Monday night.
60 dogs entered a couple peaks and all the rest labs, no goldens this year☹
I will try to post daily updates and photos of the tests along with descriptions and my analysis, whatever that’s worth. You can follow the blog and they do a good job but are somewhat restricted in their descriptions of the dog work. They have to be 1000% positive no matter how bad a dog performs.
i’ll post a link to the blog as soon as it’s up and running, which will probably be next Sunday. The event starts on the 10th.
If anyone has questions about anything at all related to the event please ask. My goal is to inspire interest in field trials and training.
So many people are intimidated about training dogs, especially for fieldwork. There’s no reason to be. Training a dog to do what he was bred for is very rewarding to both dog and handler.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for doing this and good luck. I’m interested, and have a young dog I’m thinking of trying a derby with next year.
Thanks
Derbies are a lot of fun. You just need a retriever under 2 years old that can mark well and has good line manners.

Hundreds, probably thousands, of retrieves and drills help too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts