Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
the party's crashing us
4,236 Posts
SH for Brix.
Just taught him his three pattern blinds, starting blind drills today.

·
Registered
131 Posts
to place in an amateur this spring with either dog. I am also hoping and praying for proof to finish an open. He is looking real real real good. I hope he can keep his stuff together for the trial.
Pulling for Proof and I guess the black dog?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Goal for me, learn when to hit the whistle at the right time
It’s blind control 200 yrds out which we are working on.
Thought of something relevant while training yesterday. I'm sure many here know already but for those new to running long blinds it is important and maybe something they have not thought of.
We ran a couple blinds after a marking setup. Someone ask about the distance and I had my range finder in the vehicle, about 300 and 460 yards. Terrain, cover and wind all significant factors in addition to running through old marks.
For a dog that runs very fast on blinds you need to think ahead about where and when to stop him. If I wait until Jake is off line to whistle he will be way off line by the time he hears it and gets himself stopped. Extended range amplifies the potential for error because of the time it takes for sound to reach the dog.
There are different handling methods. Most handlers will use a verbal back along with a hand signal in some situations, for example a straight back. If you stop your dog 300yds out and want straight back cast you need to give the verbal back before the hand signal. If you give the verbal and hand signal simultaneously the dog will have already taken the cast when he hears the verbal. My dogs reaction would be to take too much angle, left or right, then he would be confused hearing the verbal after taking the cast. It can be difficult to time correctly but hearing the verbal a bit before the hands signal does not confuse him so that is the way to err.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We are picking up a new field bred puppy around Jan. 20th. His pedigree and breeder come to us highly recommended by people we know and trust in the hunt test world. We hope to take him through hunt tests with a goal of making it to Master hunter, probably sometime in 2021. He of course will hunt waterfowl and upland birds with me and my adult sons as soon as his basic field training is completed, during 2020...

We are also considering expanding his training into the world of Obedience testing. As it would compliment his hunt training and make him a better dog, not to mention the added fun we all would have!

I will talk in more detail regarding the breeder and pedigree after we have the pup home...
why not try some field trials,. Derbies in Alaska should be a lot less pressure and you might actually have fun!

·
Registered
472 Posts
why not try some field trials,. Derbies in Alaska should be a lot less pressure and you might actually have fun!
Alaska is a long drive from Missouri! that being said...

We have thought about Field Trials in the past. I know if one really wants to go after a 'Trial' title, that you need to plan on a 'campaign' type of approach Additionally, until you have actually started working with the dog and with your trainer, you really cannot access if the dog has a shot in Trials. I may be open to this, but it is premature to start thinking in that direction...

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
Alaska is a long drive from Missouri! that being said...

We have thought about Field Trials in the past. I know if one really wants to go after a 'Trial' title, that you need to plan on a 'campaign' type of approach Additionally, until you have actually started working with the dog and with your trainer, you really cannot access if the dog has a shot in Trials. I may be open to this, but it is premature to start thinking in that direction...
Just so you know, My dog stays at home with me and the trainer pulls him out of my car when he wants to run proof. Proof only goes with the trainer on special training trips out of town or for summer trips when its too hot for GA and I can't afford to stay in Vermont or Michigan all summer. My dog has a shot in trials. You really have to find the right trainer that will work with you.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our trainers are perfect for us! They only train Goldens...they have a perfect set up for training. They are 6 hours away from us. We are retired so we can work with that. Thanks for the comments...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts