Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been remiss in advising everyone about the NRC currently underway in Corning, California. They are running the 8th series right now and it is a monster! Check it out at:
https://2019nrc.blogspot.com/p/8th-series.html

Crush was our only Golden running this year. He ran strong until the 5th series, which eliminated a bunch of dogs (it was a monster land quad).

I enjoy keeping track of the dogs on the blog.
https://2019nrc.blogspot.com/

FTGoldens

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
It is interesting there will be no commentary or videos this year. I guess the powers that be decided it gave too much advantage to dogs running later than sooner. Any thoughts?

I was surprised how many dogs made it through the first 4 series. It definitely shows how great the dogs are these days.

I think that Crush might be back in future years, since he is so young.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at that yesterday. Would love to hear your analysis on this.
This test, carried over from yesterday, continues to be exceedingly difficult for these super-dogs to complete cleanly.

While the island bird is proving to be the toughest, as anticipated, the long mark is also finding victims.

Regarding the island bird, there are multitudinous factors contributing to its difficulty, some of which are:
* hen pheasant (very little scent).
* island (dogs simply have a difficult time with island birds ... possibly due to depth perception or because the gunners are typically on the "mainland" thrown across a strip of water (gunner-memory is a detriment in this situation)).
* island bird is in front of a flyer.
* island bird is in front of the only stay-out gunners.
* island bird is thrown second, so primacy-recency effect is in play.
* order of the falls forces the dogs to do wide swings with their heads twice.
* there are three angled water entries and exits en route to that bird.

The long mark has 5 water entries, but overall has fewer factors ... for these dogs, 250 yards is not considered a long mark; plus, it's thrown first, so its primacy is beneficial to the dogs.

What did I miss?

FTGoldens

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Thanks FT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts