Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody getting a golden puppy to pursue field work with this year? I will be making the jump to three dogs in June with the addition of a little field golden puppy that I am beyond excited about. It's my first time getting a pup where I'll have to fly out and pick him up but I think he will be more than worth it!

I currently train in field work (HRC hunt tests) with my conformation line golden Fisher, but he is really heat intolerant so I have to really be careful with him from July-August. I decided I really didn't want to halt my training for two months and that I'm ready to get a dog bred for the job. I still intend to train Fisher as far as I can take him but I can only do early season tests (May-June) and we work at a slow pace as I struggle to keep him engaged in training. He has really good obedience, he just struggles with the drive to finish the job at times. He's like a different dog in the winter when its cool, so I just have to suck it up and train all winter long lol!

I'm really excited to start a dog right away and using the skills I've learned already. The breeder will have the puppies on birds before they leave so I'll be sure to have a nice birdy pup. I've got big goals for this little guy so we are going to hit the ground running.

So, anyone else? There are some fantastic field golden litters out there right now!

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Good luck with your pup! And do not stop with Fisher.

For the record, my field Goldens suffer in the heat.

·
Jay S.
70 Posts
Great news. I would agree that there are some very nice field golden litters out there and more coming all the time. I think we are seeing a bit of a movement. Here in North Texas I know of three pros that are training there own goldens right now. Another pro is in the queue for a golden.

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck with your pup! And do not stop with Fisher.

For the record, my field Goldens suffer in the heat.
I definitely won't stop with Fisher, he loves the game! And heat for him is anything above 60 degrees lol. I just have to be strategic in how I train, which is fine as it actually pushes me to be a creative trainer. Now get that boy near some water and I have an animal on my hands haha, he just losses his mind, and loves water more than any field dog I personally know. Anything where I don't have to wear a coat, Fisher thinks its too hot :grin2:

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great news. I would agree that there are some very nice field golden litters out there and more coming all the time. I think we are seeing a bit of a movement. Here in North Texas I know of three pros that are training there own goldens right now. Another pro is in the queue for a golden.
I would agree, I'm seeing the same thing in my area (South Dakota). It used to just be me in the club that had a golden, but I know three others getting golden pups this year for field work!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The heat has affected both my field and European show goldens. We either train early in the morning or not at all. I do not test in the summer. Hoping for a field puppy in the near future.

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The heat has affected both my field and European show goldens. We either train early in the morning or not at all. I do not test in the summer. Hoping for a field puppy in the near future.
That's exciting! I also prefer not to test in the summer, which is a bummer because all the tests close to me are end of July/early August. When I say Fisher is heat intolerant I mean way more so than most dogs, his attitude just plummets and training is no longer fun for either of us even when training early mornings (5:30am). I also have a golden with a field coat and she can work in much warmer temps, as can all my other friends with dog that have less coat. Now when winter comes around Fisher can tolerate way colder temps than these dogs.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Oh my gosh there are so many great litters out there! It's so hard to not get another puppy. Sigh, 2 is enough for me right now.

I hope you have a great time with your new puppy! Training will go so much faster this time.

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my gosh there are so many great litters out there! It's so hard to not get another puppy. Sigh, 2 is enough for me right now.

I hope you have a great time with your new puppy! Training will go so much faster this time.
I am ridiculously excited to get this pup! Just being able to start on the right foot from day one and a dog that was bred for the work. Just because I adore this pedigree I have to share it -
https://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=965440&fbclid=IwAR25aYRoC2YK6rJa8Y-1i-W1pCGllnbPBCCNDvNkVCADWS8NctRGoaSCYEY

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Wow nice litter!
I see Nixie is the dam’s dam, very nice. Great strong bitch line. Nixie is a proven producer.
The sire has also been a good producer so far, so you’ll know what you are getting.
Nice low COI with dogs from way back as the high influencers. No dogs with influence super high.
I see many great dogs like Push, Jake, etc. in both sire and dam pedigrees.
Quite a nice variety of titles too.
I’d say you struck gold (no pun intended)!

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow nice litter!
I see Nixie is the dam’s dam, very nice. Great strong bitch line. Nixie is a proven producer.
The sire has also been a good producer so far, so you’ll know what you are getting.
Nice low COI with dogs from way back as the high influencers. No dogs with influence super high.
I see many great dogs like Push, Jake, etc. in both sire and dam pedigrees.
Quite a nice variety of titles too.
I’d say you struck gold (no pun intended)!
Thanks! I stumbled across this litter quite by accident and knew immediately I needed a puppy from this breeding. Luckily the breeder hadn't advertised it yet and I was able to secure a male spot!

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love Ben! I actually mapped out the drive from Oregon to CT lol looks like a great litter!
Me too! I've been watching litters sire by him for a while, but I really wanted the bitch side to be strong field lines! A Teal/Ben combo would be fabulous!

·
where the tails wag
13,349 Posts
Congrats! Ben is an amazing dog :) stunning too.

Frank does an awesome job puppy raising (biased here since he was my Faelan's trainer / handler)

PS: our dogs will be related!

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats! Ben is an amazing dog :) stunning too.

Frank does an awesome job puppy raising (biased here since he was my Faelan's trainer / handler)

PS: our dogs will be related!
That's so cool that our dogs will be related (looks like through Apollo?)! Awesome to hear about Frank! I'm still on cloud 9 that I'm getting this puppy :grin2:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am ridiculously excited to get this pup! Just being able to start on the right foot from day one and a dog that was bred for the work. Just because I adore this pedigree I have to share it -
https://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=965440&fbclid=IwAR25aYRoC2YK6rJa8Y-1i-W1pCGllnbPBCCNDvNkVCADWS8NctRGoaSCYEY

I am Sioux's breeder and am thrilled you are getting one of these pups. If I didn't have a full house right now I would be taking one too. Sioux comes from a very talented litter, they earned Nixie her OD dam by two and a half years and are still accruing more performance titles. And Ben has his own outstanding track record. You should be able to do any performance venue with one of these pups. Good luck and post lots of pictures!

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
I am Sioux's breeder and am thrilled you are getting one of these pups. If I didn't have a full house right now I would be taking one too. Sioux comes from a very talented litter, they earned Nixie her OD dam by two and a half years and are still accruing more performance titles. And Ben has his own outstanding track record. You should be able to do any performance venue with one of these pups. Good luck and post lots of pictures!
Thank you for being a breeder!

·
Jamie
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sioux seems incredible, and Nixie is very impressive! Frank made sure I knew how talented Sioux's mom is when we talked!

So as not to bombard my facebook friends with constant dog pictures I actually have an instagram that is dedicated just to my dogs lol if anyone cares to follow along - https://www.instagram.com/fishingforpennies/

1 - 20 of 36 Posts