Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for posting this information! I have some follow up questions about choosing a reputable breeder. My husband and I are looking to get our first Golden together (I grew up with Goldens and am aware of the health risks that they have, and am very concerned about getting a healthy puppy). I've looked into many breeders in the midwest area:

Stargazer Goldens, IL
Macintosh Goldens, IN
Huntleigh Goldens, IL
Magicshades Golden Retrievers, WI
Four Sixes, IL
Shor'Line Goldens, IL
Chatham Golden Retrievers, MO

Prices for puppies from these breeders range from $1,600 to $2,800, and I am curious to know why some breeders are more expensive than others. Some of the more expensive breeders say that they spend a lot of time temperament testing the puppies and handling them with care before they go home. They also seem to be "show dog breeders." Do these qualities merit such a high price for a healthy puppy? If anyone has any insight into the quality of breeding programs at any of the above breeders and also about how much a healthy Golden puppy should cost, I would appreciate hearing it!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Thank you for posting this information! I have some follow up questions about choosing a reputable breeder. My husband and I are looking to get our first Golden together (I grew up with Goldens and am aware of the health risks that they have, and am very concerned about getting a healthy puppy). I've looked into many breeders in the midwest area:

Stargazer Goldens, IL
Macintosh Goldens, IN
Huntleigh Goldens, IL
Magicshades Golden Retrievers, WI
Four Sixes, IL
Shor'Line Goldens, IL
Chatham Golden Retrievers, MO

Prices for puppies from these breeders range from $1,600 to $2,800, and I am curious to know why some breeders are more expensive than others. Some of the more expensive breeders say that they spend a lot of time temperament testing the puppies and handling them with care before they go home. They also seem to be "show dog breeders." Do these qualities merit such a high price for a healthy puppy? If anyone has any insight into the quality of breeding programs at any of the above breeders and also about how much a healthy Golden puppy should cost, I would appreciate hearing it!!
Once you get I think it is 15 posts, you can PM me and I can answer any questions you want about Chatham Golden Retrievers. I own a show dog male whose sire is their Patton. We all love Patton and many of his off spring. We also love Joyce and Dave.

As for prices, I have been kind of shocked that a higher price does not always mean better quality once you get between that range. Often times once you get more towards the Middle West, the prices are cheaper. I know my breeder/co-breeder keeps her prices on the lower end because she feels it is important for the average family to be able to afford a pet. She is not in it for the money.

Reactions: Megora

·
Kate
23,501 Posts
Thank you for including me in the list, that is a very nice honor. But I wanted to let you know I am pretty much done breeding Goldens. So you could remove DocMar from the list. Thank you!
Jane - this really stinks. :(

Have met a little girlie owned by a friend who came from you + a while back I remember absolutely loving your Ewe litter.

There's aren't too many breeders who breed for more than one purpose. We are losing more and more.... :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much everyone for all of the list of the Midwest breeders. I will definitely check them out! So kind of you to pass that information along. As you know it is very difficult to find a good breeder so hopefully this will lead us to our new puppy!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thank you for this list. I have checked every place. Do you or anyone know of anyone who has a male pup?

By the time pups are on the ground most are spoken for. Pick the breeders you like best and get on their list for an upcoming litter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once you get I think it is 15 posts, you can PM me and I can answer any questions you want about Chatham Golden Retrievers. I own a show dog male whose sire is their Patton. We all love Patton and many of his off spring. We also love Joyce and Dave.

As for prices, I have been kind of shocked that a higher price does not always mean better quality once you get between that range. Often times once you get more towards the Middle West, the prices are cheaper. I know my breeder/co-breeder keeps her prices on the lower end because she feels it is important for the average family to be able to afford a pet. She is not in it for the money.
Could you refer me to one of the breeders not in it for the money?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Could you refer me to one of the breeders not in it for the money?
None of the people on that list are in it for the money. They are all reputable hobby breeders who breed for the betterment of the breed. Most of us are members of our local clubs and the GRCA. Most of us never come close to covering our expenses when you start considering health testing, training, entry fees, etc. much less the routine costs for just having these wonderful dogs as our companions, first and foremost.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thank you so much for the list! This is super helpful. I am wondering if there is a updated list since this is 4 years old :)
Hi! Sorry, yes I made this list a long time ago! I have since lost my golden girl to cancer, had twins (the 2 legged type!) who are currently 2, and am homeschooling my kindergartener, so I have not been getting on the forum regularly, let alone keeping this list updated. I happened to venture on today for the first time in probably 2 years and saw this. I do plan to update in the future as I will be looking for a breeder myself because I would like to get a puppy once the twins are potty trained! If anyone has any breeders who follow GRCA code of ethics not listed feel free to comment on this thread!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts