Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D:D Yes!! Everyone knows that the game goes better with good food, friends and a drink or two! :)

What are you planning to eat on Super Bowl Sunday? Please feel free to share descriptions, photos and recipes.

I'm not making a pizza this year, so there will be no photos of pizza from me. I will be making a Tex-Mex enchildada stack casserole, adapted from a recipe that Betty (Penny & Maggie's Mom) described to me. I did a test run of a small casserole last night and it is most definitely delicious!! I made a roasted chicken earlier this week and used the leftovers to make it.

It's easy. Preheat oven to 350.

Shred chicken from a roasted chicken (or cook a chicken or chicken parts, cool and shred). I prefer skin off.

Get some red or green enchilada sauce. I used green and mixed it with a little bit of reduced fat sour cream.

Decide if you prefer to use green chilies, chopped onions, olives or a combination of one or more. I chose chopped onions because I'm a Tex-Mex girl. I actually used a little left over fresh spinach that I steamed as one of the layers--it worked great.

In a casserole dish layer tortillas (I used multi-grain, for the fiber :)), then put down a layer of the enchilada sauce, and layer with chicken, onion/chili/olives, chicken, cheese, tortillas, etc--stacking. Do whatever order you want, it doesn't really matter, just end up with cheese on the top.

Cook until done--it took mine 45 minutes, but Betty said to go to 50-60 minutes. I guess it depends on the oven.

Spice it as you wish. I used cumin (again, a Tex Mex thing).

Top with whatever you want. Sour cream with a little paprika, avocado chunks (yum), salsa, whatever!

We aren't beer drinkers here and rarely drink wine, so we'll indulge in big glasses of Iced Tea (for me) and Iced Diet Dr. Pepper for the hubby.

Dark Chocolate Brownies too!!

Definitely not Heart Healthy, but we'll work it off on Monday. :)

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Anne, that sure sounds good. Wish we lived closer and we could join you.... Thinking of making a big pot of chili and a bunch of munchies. Nothing really special, especially because I don't like eating late. I think kick-off is 6:29 or something like that.... I will have already had my dinner and just munch on a few snacks watching the game. Boring....;)

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm making just munchies this year. So far on my list of things to make, I have:

- cucumber boats
- raspberry balsamic meatballs
- guacamole-veggie dip
- dr. pepper chicken wings

and I'm thinking of doing some nachos in the oven at periodic times and serving those up. Plus cut veggies, crackers, and all that good stuff. I'm trying to keep it at least mildly healthy (or at least have some healthy options)!

Still looking for some ideas, though!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I've been craving lentil soup, so I've decided that's what we're doing Sunday. I found this slower cooker recipe last year and it's great. I sub spinach for the kale.

LENTIL SOUP

3 carrots, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
1 onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
8 c. water or vegetable broth
2 c. lentils
1 tsp dried thyme

Directions:
Put all ingredients in a slow cooker. Set on low if it's to cook all day, high if you are starting at lunchtime.

About 10 minutes before serving, add:

1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped

You can also add one 14 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes. YUM.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm making just munchies this year. So far on my list of things to make, I have:

- cucumber boats
- raspberry balsamic meatballs
- guacamole-veggie dip
- dr. pepper chicken wings

and I'm thinking of doing some nachos in the oven at periodic times and serving those up. Plus cut veggies, crackers, and all that good stuff. I'm trying to keep it at least mildly healthy (or at least have some healthy options)!

Still looking for some ideas, though!
I'm thinking of hopping a plane and visiting you!! Even if it is cold!! :)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been craving lentil soup, so I've decided that's what we're doing Sunday. I found this slower cooker recipe last year and it's great. I sub spinach for the kale.

LENTIL SOUP

3 carrots, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
1 onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
8 c. water or vegetable broth
2 c. lentils
1 tsp dried thyme

Directions:
Put all ingredients in a slow cooker. Set on low if it's to cook all day, high if you are starting at lunchtime.

About 10 minutes before serving, add:

1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped

You can also add one 14 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes. YUM.
That is a lot like my lentil soup recipe, but I use the pressure cooker. Your salsa and/or avocados have topped our soup!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm thinking of hopping a plane and visiting you!! Even if it is cold!! :)
:) We're back up to nice weather!! It's been so gorgeous out that it feels like spring already! I think the high for tomorrow is a balmy 10 degrees C! Which I think is around 50 F? So hop on that plane!

I promise I will take pics of everything I make and post them! I'm wondering if I'll have enough food...I think I'm going to make a BLT dip, too.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
We are having ham, mashed potatoes, appelsauce and baked beans...plus nacho's, veggies and dips. We are having our neighbors over, which is good, because being Dutch, I have no clue what the rules and strategies are. So they are going to explain things.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
I have seriously considered abandoning the thought of the superbowl this year as my beloved Packers are not in it this year thanks to the stinking Giants buuuuutttt....that doesn't mean I have to abandon the good food. I don't know what I will make for sure, probably just apps to munch on all day since the hubby and I aren't doing anything.

WI has been pretty quiet overall this year with any talks of the superbowl so I haven't talked to a single person with "real plans".

Anyways..I will make this wonderful jalapeno poppers recipe off pinterest, homemade mozz sticks, cheese and crackers, and then maybe cook out if the weather keeps staying this nice. Grilling out will make me feel even more excited for summer again!!

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
We have had Mexican food during Super Bowl for years. Usually just simple like tacos, nachoes and Mexican salad. Dessert vary. But when I have been here alone for the game, i get a Mexicaon TV dinner----just to stay with tradition.,

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are having ham, mashed potatoes, appelsauce and baked beans...plus nacho's, veggies and dips. We are having our neighbors over, which is good, because being Dutch, I have no clue what the rules and strategies are. So they are going to explain things.
I miss my Dutch mother in law's cooking so much. Your menu of ham, potatoes and applesauce was one of her staples, along with killer chocolate pudding. Her Christmas pastries were out of this world good. She died in 2007 and we really miss her.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seriously considered abandoning the thought of the superbowl this year as my beloved Packers are not in it this year thanks to the stinking Giants buuuuutttt....that doesn't mean I have to abandon the good food. I don't know what I will make for sure, probably just apps to munch on all day since the hubby and I aren't doing anything.

WI has been pretty quiet overall this year with any talks of the superbowl so I haven't talked to a single person with "real plans".

Anyways..I will make this wonderful jalapeno poppers recipe off pinterest, homemade mozz sticks, cheese and crackers, and then maybe cook out if the weather keeps staying this nice. Grilling out will make me feel even more excited for summer again!!
I'm also sad the Packers didn't make it as well. It really doesn't matter, but we are supporting the Patriots this time around.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Be careful now...you don't want to over do it with all the yummy appetizers. One year we did and when dinner time rolled around with New York Strip on the barbecue everybody just looked at each other and rolled their eyes....that poor old strip just went in the frig!!!

It should be a good game...hopefully the Giants will take it so Brady doesn't tie Joe for Super Bowl wins!!!

Pete

Go Niners!!!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Crack bread!! Ate this at a friend's LSU game night. It's delicious.

1 unsliced loaf of (round is preferable) sourdough bread
8-12 oz cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
3 oz bag Oscar Mayer Real Bacon bits
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Tbsp Ranch dressing mix
Using a sharp bread knife cut the bread going both directions. Do not cut through the bottom crust. Place slices of cheese in between cuts. Sprinkle bacon bits on bread, making sure to get in between cuts. Mix together butter and Ranch dressing mix. Pour over bread. Wrap in foil the entire loaf in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Unwrap. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm adding BLT dip to my menu!

Mmm...

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Gosh, all those sound yummy. I just got a Honeybaked ham (they had a special) and made potato salad and such. We are doing renovations to the house (getting it ready to sell) so lots of extra stuff is in my kitchen. My son in law is working at the superbowl, and I am staying as far away from downtown as possible. Indy is proud to have everyone here, but there are really a lot of everyones.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gosh, all those sound yummy. I just got a Honeybaked ham (they had a special) and made potato salad and such. We are doing renovations to the house (getting it ready to sell) so lots of extra stuff is in my kitchen. My son in law is working at the superbowl, and I am staying as far away from downtown as possible. Indy is proud to have everyone here, but there are really a lot of everyones.
Those "everyones" are really good for your local economy. Last year's Super Bowl here turned a tidy profit for the cities, despite the big ice storm and sub-freezing spell. You'll be happy with all the green the spectators leave behind! :D

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It's likely that I'll be here by myself, so maybe I'll make myself some nachos or an enchilada. Tomorrow is my last day of no cardio due to an injury, so whatever I eat, it has to be pretty low in calories.

Good news is, I think I'll be all good for working on cardio again starting Monday and I am thrilled!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I haven't made it before, so I don't know how good it is! That's my warning!

BLT dip

Ingredients

1 Cup Lite Sour Cream
1 Cup Lite Mayonaise
1 Package Turkey Bacon (about 14 slices)
1 Cup Shredded Lettuce
1 Cup Diced Cherry Tomatoes
1 Cup Shredded Reduced Fat Cheddar

Sea Salt Bagel Crips or other cracker to dip

Directions

Mix sour cream and mayo together. Cook up the bacon. After bacon is cooked, take half and crumble into the sour cream mixture. Reserve other half for later. Mix in bacon. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Crumble remaining bacon on top.

Makes about 36 tablespoon size servings.

I'm serving it with veggies, not crackers. Trying to be healthy this year!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts