Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost January, so... :D

I'm already planning to invest in a heat lamp for starting plants this year. I'll get seeds started towards the end of February, but I'm already thinking about what I want. :p:

And I had a question... has anyone ever tried harvesting seeds from rose hips? My one bush has a few rose hips! I left them on the bush (so they've had 2 months of cold temps), but I'm thinking about clipping them off and starting the seeds indoors to see what I get.

·
Kristy
9,798 Posts
The most basic form of a rose I've ever tried is bare roots mail order from Antique Rose Emporium (my favorite :)) I wish you luck and will be interested in the full report! I'm impressed with your initiative.... I'm still trying to get the tree out the door and the decorations down back in the attic.... :(

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Hubby is drawing up plans for my walk in garden this year. Last year's garden was a disaster due to the excessive heat and the squirrels raiding it. This year I'll have my garden area enclosed in chicken wire top and sides, with a door!

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh our Christmas tree is still up. We put it up on Christmas Eve and leave it up through the 2nd week of January. :D

I am looking forward to gardening though. Last winter we had the seedlings in our computer room and it just smelled like spring in there. :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
In Jan sometime I'll begin planning my new garden for this spring. We fenced in our south yard for the boys last spring . It only has hosta in the garden area now as there was total shade before we removed the tree. Now we'll have mostly sun. I have a rose garden on the other side of the house so I want this area to be more casual and able to withstand the boys! I am thinking rudebeckia, lavender, purple coneflower and more catmint (I planted some out there this last summer ) Maybe hydrangeas.
I sure am praying Selka's roses make it through the winter.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
So far, I'm sticking to my guns...throwing out all the seed catalogs. This year is my year to ride and show. I can't bear coming home from a week-long show to weeds up to my knees.:no: Just about the time I get things 75% cleaned up, off to another show. :(Maybe a patio tomato or 2. No flowers out front either. Round-up!:D

I should add that I've had a garden for nearly 50 years...time to take a break!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
.. has anyone ever tried harvesting seeds from rose hips? My one bush has a few rose hips! I left them on the bush (so they've had 2 months of cold temps), but I'm thinking about clipping them off and starting the seeds indoors to see what I get.

Yes it can be done but it is not as simple as one would hope. You first need to put them in a damp towel inside a plastic bag in the frig for about a month. Then check the seeds, if any have begun to sprout remove them from the towel CAREFULLY. If you damage the little root at all it will not grow. Place the others back in the frig for another couple of weeks. Plant the seed in a seed starting mix and cover with about 1/4 of soil. GENTLY pat it down to ensure the seed is making contact with the soil. Dampen the soil. cover the pot with plastic and put a few pin holes in it. Put in indirect sunlight in the house. when the seedling breaks through you can remove the plastic.
But be forewarned. It takes several years before the bush will ever flower and best of all, you will not know what it will look like befoore it blooms. It will not look like the rose it came from.
This is why all the professionals do it via cuttings and grafting. ;)

Reactions: AlanK and Megora

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I have an African Violet and Orchid growing in my house.

We just moved to this house so we'll have to start fresh outside.

There's an old weed filled garden beside our patio. I might dig everything out and start new there.

I'm not much of a green thumb, so hopefully I can find something that isn't easily killed!

Any suggestions?

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Does anyone here do Bonsai? I just bought my BF some bonsai tools and a gift certificate for the nursery so that will be his (and mine) gardening project for the next year. I am not sure I will have the patience for it, but he probably will.

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But be forewarned. It takes several years before the bush will ever flower and best of all, you will not know what it will look like befoore it blooms. It will not look like the rose it came from.
I'm prepared for that... :)

One of my rosebushes (in fact, I think it's the same bush that these rosehips are on) died down to the root. I almost threw it away except I saw a little bit of green that made it worth moving to our backyard. It was a barren bush for 6 or 7 years before it began blossoming again. And the blooms were different than what were on the original bush.

I think it would be a cool thing to try. Thanks for the tips on how to do it. :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Even though we have room for a big garden, I don't have one due to all the deer. They destroy everything, young trees, shrubs & flowers.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
I just got my first seed catalog today! I planned to take it with me to Hannah's appt tomorrow - so it's carefully waiting in the car, lest I'm tempted to start peeking tonight! :)

Between Hannah's health issues and the crazy weather last summer, I had a renewed appreciation for growers everywhere and I was so grateful for grocery stores. I couldn't even partially depend on the garden, I would have been up a creek if that was my only food supply :no:

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Something that i have decided to do this winter is to winter-sow seeds. You dont end up with leggy plants youve grown on the windowsill and it seems natural. The website has info on winter-sowing and the author has a blog that tells you what seeds he is planting and when. I have saved some milk jugs But i have to go raid my neighbors recycling cans on tues when they put them to the curb
Who’s Winter-Sowing this Year?
Beth moose and anglE
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2011/12/whos-winter-sowing-this-year/

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mainegirl - THANKS for the link!!!

Last winter I had a problem getting my delphiniums to sprout. They did, but were very weak plants. I was told they should be kept in the fridge to simulate winter or something like that and was anticipating having to do that.

This looks like it would be a LOT better.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Serendipity...:) I just went outside to trim back dead branches from last year's garden and discovered my oregano is thriving! I guess my 2012 garden is already going, 3 months early! Fresh pesto, here we go! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts