Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
katieanddusty said:
You're both wrong - the premier event is AGILITY! :p:
*goes back into hiding now that she's made the "you have not posted in several weeks" message go away*
go back to your room, Katie... adults are bickering.. :) :)

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Gosh. The more I read these posts, the more I realize just how LITTLE I know about Goldens.

Field trials, agility, Best In Show--heck, it's all I can do just to get my Atticus and Jordie to come when I call them!

My vote goes to the Rescue Parade. Rescue Goldens are the Best!

"That's my vote and I'm stickin' to it"!

Scott J.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
vrocco1 said:
These qualities are bred into gun dogs for a reason. The ten minutes that the dogs spend working at a field trial only tests the dog's training and instict. They do not test his physical capabilities. When they modify the field trials to do that, my interest will be peaked.
I'm a bit confused on this statement. If a field trial doesn't put too the test a dogs physical capabilities, then how possibly could putting a dog in a show ring. However long it takes to run a dog in a field trial shows not only physical capabilitites, but mental as well. It also shows the drive that the dog has, which as many of us know already a big majority of the conformation dogs have pretty much lost, this isn't a big thing in the conformation dogs to many that are breeding them, looks is. One can truely see the difference in these dogs out there in a field trial as well as owning a dog thats been bred to do it's original purpose.

I think your forgetting to take into account the amount of time that a field trial dog is put under vigorous training, many as well as out in the field hunting all day and never tireing. Now if that isn't the "True Test" of a dogs physical and mental capabilities, I honestly don't know what is!
Kode has less coat then a conformation upon looking at him, but he has the correct amount of undercoat which protects him from the cold and icy waters but yet doesn't weigh him down out there with extra coat that burrs just love to cling too. As pretty as that conformation dog coat is, it really isn't functional out there working in the field.

There both beautiful dogs, but I think sometimes some have lost sight of what this dog really is in breeding them and beauty has taken the number one spot strived for to win, and performance and what this dog was originally bred for have take second seat in the ring. Out there in the field, beauty don't count for much even though it is there....performance does and keeping the dog to what it originally was bred to do.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Goldndust said:
I'm a bit confused on this statement. If a field trial doesn't put too the test a dogs physical capabilities, then how possibly could putting a dog in a show ring.
I believe vrocco1 was getting "field trials" and "hunt tests" confused. I run in hunt tests and have no desire to run field trials. Vrocco1 has watched JH tests and yes they are a lower level title and pretty easy to obtain with minimal training and work ethic. The marks are short and not too difficult. Many show dogs have their JH and SH titles (a few have also earned MH which in my opinion requires a lot of skill and good structure on the dogs part).

I have never run a field trial but train with people who do. It is a very demanding sport and the dog has to be in top condition. Now having said that, the dog also has to have a certain structure....hense the AKC standard set forth by the GRCA.

I am not trying to start a debate on what is better...a "field dog" or a "show dog". I do wish that there was not such a gap between the two. There is only one standard and yet I see field dogs that have a lot of air under them, upright shoulders and poor overall structure (don't anyone get your panties in a knot....not all field dogs are like this) I also see show dogs that are way too fluffy, have too much rear and are just very clumsy. These two '"types" of dogs lack good structure which is important to mainatain endurance which is the KEY to a working dog.

BTW, I have every intention of breeding a show bitch of mine to a top field dog late next fall. I may not get "pretty" show dogs but I will hopefully bring in the drive and work ethic needed to compete at higher levels of hunt tests.
This is just my opinion and I am sure some will agree and some will not.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts