Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone is headed for it in September? The field trial portion is going to be right here in my hometown. I thought long and hard and then went ahead and entered Dixie in the field trial. We are much more into hunt tests, but I want to be able to say we were in this thing.. especially since it is right in my back yard..
we are nervously trying to get ready so we dont embarass ourselves too much maybe..
It will be exciting to meet some of the people that I have only read about. Plus some of them that I do know will be here and it will be good to see them.. and Dixies Dad and Brother are in it.. maybe I can get a family pic..

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
greg bell said:
Just wondered if anyone is headed for it in September? The field trial portion is going to be right here in my hometown. I thought long and hard and then went ahead and entered Dixie in the field trial. We are much more into hunt tests, but I want to be able to say we were in this thing.. especially since it is right in my back yard..
we are nervously trying to get ready so we dont embarass ourselves too much maybe..
It will be exciting to meet some of the people that I have only read about. Plus some of them that I do know will be here and it will be good to see them.. and Dixies Dad and Brother are in it.. maybe I can get a family pic..
A family picture would be great. I'd love to see that.

Unfortunately, that's too far for us to travel, or I'd definitely come.... Sounds like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Good luck! If I had a competitive agility Golden and money and time to burn (which I will probably never have) I'd come, but the agility there isn't too big anyways ...

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
My boy Jesse is going with a handler. He will be competing in open dog along with a couple hundred other dogs (slight exaggeration there are 288 dogs). I'll be happy if he makes the first cut.

He has been on a win streak lately. A few weeks ago he took winners dog and best of opposite sex for two points.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
On rare occasions I do go. I went to the National last year in Gettysburg. I love the dogs, but many of their owners really turn me off to the show thing.

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
OOOOps...........Legend, (sorry)

Sorry about that--got mixed up with names.

I (also) meant Legend..................

Scott J.:doh:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, it is over.. I have been up to my ears in field trial gold dogs.. training, dinners, little beer, competition, banquets, talking to people, helping shoot, etc...I met a lot of people that I had only heard and read about.. very exciting week for me..
we were even able to compete.. we didnt win, but dixie looked good.. we ended up blowing it, but for a while she was right in the mix.. her brother got 3rd in the open (the highest stake) and that was exciting.. I was out shooting ducks for him in the last series.. he did very nicely..
now I have to get ready for a hunt test next weekend that the club I am pres of is having. then it is time to start pumping water into the duck lake..that time is drawing close...

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
The Field Trials are over, but we still have have Agility and Conformation to go. Best of Breed is on Saturday. This is the premier golden retriever event. BOB has bragging rights for the rest of the year :D Jesse left Virginia for Kansas City yesterday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Vern-
Any predictions on BOB this year? I'm thinking possibly "Harley" or "Yoshi". I haven't seen Jon Cole judge much so don't know what type or style he prefers. We will be there cheering on our all-time favorite, Crosby. Best of luck to Jesse!!

Lisa

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry, but I will have to disagree that the confirmation show is the premier event.. maybe in your circles, but for me, the open stake it the field trial would take center stage..
and most on here would agree with you..not many folks on here are very interested in the performance of the golden RETRIEVER.... most will agree with you that how they look is of upmost importance... so I understand that I am in the minority...

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I did not mean it that way Greg. I meant in general, this specialty is the premier event. I do have dogs that participate in FIELD TRIALS. I guess my circle is just a little bigger then yours.

Some people (myself included) believe that Golden Retrievers can have looks and also perform. I also believe that the AKC standard emphasizes the characteristics which CAN make the Golden an outstanding Gun dog. It's not just about looks, its about structure. A dog with imperfect foot timing is going to trip all over himself during the retrieve. A dog with a short neck, is going to drown in a water retrieve. A dog with improper shoulders won't last all day. God knows, a dog with a thin coat will freeze to death.

These qualities are bred into gun dogs for a reason. The ten minutes that the dogs spend working at a field trial only tests the dog's training and instict. They do not test his physical capabilities. When they modify the field trials to do that, my interest will be peaked.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You're both wrong - the premier event is AGILITY! :p:

*goes back into hiding now that she's made the "you have not posted in several weeks" message go away*

·
Registered
345 Posts
golddogz said:
Vern-
Any predictions on BOB this year? I'm thinking possibly "Harley" or "Yoshi". I haven't seen Jon Cole judge much so don't know what type or style he prefers. We will be there cheering on our all-time favorite, Crosby. Best of luck to Jesse!!
Lisa

Which Harley do you mean?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts