Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
Many males don't hike their legs ever. My boy Tucker who I lost in January was 13 and he never hiked his leg my Tanner is 9 and has never. Our Cooper will be 1 in January and I hope he never does. I would rather mine didn't.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Count your blessings....
Your trees and hedges thank your dogs ;-)

If a pup is neutered before instinctually learning to lift, they often never lift...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Our dog Hunter, who we lost at 7 years old, never lifted his leg. Our puppy Scout is 6 months old and has not started. We are getting him neutered in a few weeks so I hope that keeps him from starting to do it.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Some dogs need other males to teach them how. My girlfriend would NOT let her dogs lift their legs. I wouldn't worry that he squats.

Ann

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Molson has been lifting his leg (it started off with his arm! haha) since about 5 months I think. He lifts it most of the time now, but sometimes he will still squat. My mom's 3yr old male golden was neutered at 12 months and never lifted his leg until we brought Molson home, and when they share a yard or go for walks together, Skoker picks it up from Molson and lifts his leg, too.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I wish mine didn't lift his leg!! Sammy (unneutered) has been lifting since I think around 7 months old.. maybe I'm remembering wrong but it was somewhere around that age.

Dillon (neutered) never lifted his leg, always squatted.. until he lived in my house for about 3 months and decided that he'd lift about 1/4 of the time... I guess Sam taught him. :doh:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Not all male dogs lift their leg to pee. Tucker usually lifts about 98% of the time, but he will still occasionally squat. Some males will never lift. It's really nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Your yard and mailbox thank you! lol

Casey is 11 1/2 and still squats. As he ages, I think it makes it easier for him since he has bad hips.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Noah squats and he is 17 months
Scout lifts and has been lifting since about 2 months of age, he is about 8 months.

·
3 goldens
12,095 Posts
My Dad had a pointer that never liefted his leg, in all his 11 oe 112 yers. We were all country folks, but my parents ended up living in a city, a big city (Austin, TGex) and my country cousin use to say Lucky was a "city dog" and didn't know how to be a real male dog.

When my o9ld golden developed arthrits in his spine and hips, he still lifted his leg and would tremble and shake and almos fall over. I wished he would squat, but he never did, just went right taking a chance.,

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Count your blessings....
Your trees and hedges thank your dogs ;-)

If a pup is neutered before instinctually learning to lift, they often never lift...
I was going to say the same thing - I can't tell you how many people have dogs that mark - excessively mark - and would really appreciate having a squatter. Really - marking and inappropriate leg lifting is a big problem for many dog owners - intact or neutered.

While it sounds controlling I do reward my dogs for squatting and I don't tolerate any marking. They do lift from time to time (particularly when they're on "their own time") but for the most part they squat and we're off. This is particularly helpful at shows where the potty options are limited, the smells are good (apparently) and we need to go into the ring (where marking, peeing, etc is going to get us kicked out).

Erica

·
Registered
74 Posts
Zack started cocking a leg around 12 months (almost to the day) on the occasional mailbox on our walk. He's now 15months and still will squat in the yard for his normal morning pee break, and the one just before bed. But on a walk, he lifts a leg in marking fashion.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Both Comet and Dakota, 12 and 10 years respectively, squatted their entire lives. They would lift their legs every now and then, but mostly they squatted. Neither were neutered.

Gilmour, at most, does a partial leg lift and he's a year old.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts