Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I wondered if anyone can shed some light. I have a male golden age 2 always been happy active loves his walks. A couple months ago, he started limping on rear leg after a particularly excitable day. I first noticed it when he got off the sofa and he was weight bearing but was limping a bit. He woke up the next day absolutely fine like nothing had happened. It wasn’t until a week later that this happened again (and has been happening off and on since). It seems to be at the end of the day when getting up from resting but will always wake up the next day as if all is well and go about his walks with his usual enthusiasm and excitement. When he does limp, he will only do so for a couple of minutes if that and then almost ‘walks it off’ and is fine again. Almost like he is stiff at first. But this can happen each time he lays down and gets back up again.
We took vets advice and gave him a course of anti inflammatory and rest which instantly stopped the limp and have been gradually increasing his walks since. He is now back to limping again after slightly longer walks (an hour or so - which would have been no issue to him at all before all of this) and so he is going for an X-ray to find out what is going on. I just wondered really if anybody has experienced the same and what it ended up being as I am petrified it will be his hips. He comes from a line of pedigree dogs with low hip score.

thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I'm glad you are working with your vet. Sometimes it just takes a while for an injury to heal completely. Hope it's just that and not hips or elbows.

Reactions: Montgomery11

·
Kate
22,736 Posts
Xrays + hands on exam by a chiropractor may help.

I hate to say this but xrays alone might be inconclusive.

If it's hip dysplasia or bone changes around the hips - xrays will show that.

But might not be anything specifically noticable. Which case, going to a rehabilitation type vet - one who does adjustments and laser treatments, for example, might help.

Chiropractor can tell if there's something wrong - typically the pelvis is tilted or twisted which increasingly causes weakness, alteration of gait, slight limping. The twisted or tilted pelvis by itself is a symptom - that is usually something like a muscle strain or tear. Agility dogs are prone to very deep muscle strains that take a long time to heal and sometimes there is always a weak area there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Xrays + hands on exam by a chiropractor may help.

I hate to say this but xrays alone might be inconclusive.

If it's hip dysplasia or bone changes around the hips - xrays will show that.

But might not be anything specifically noticable. Which case, going to a rehabilitation type vet - one who does adjustments and laser treatments, for example, might help.

Chiropractor can tell if there's something wrong - typically the pelvis is tilted or twisted which increasingly causes weakness, alteration of gait, slight limping. The twisted or tilted pelvis by itself is a symptom - that is usually something like a muscle strain or tear. Agility dogs are prone to very deep muscle strains that take a long time to heal and sometimes there is always a weak area there.
Thanks for this that’s really helpful, I hadn’t even thought about a chiropractor as an option if it comes to it. Just want my boy to be back to his usual self! In one way I hope the X-ray is inconclusive as then I will know his hips etc are ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts