Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New to the forum because I have run out of ideas. Millie turns 2 two weeks from today and we absolutely love her. She's a ton of fun and has a great personality. She goes through these "phases" though where when we leave, whether for 4 hours or 45 minutes, when we come back she has peed in the house. She'll go weeks and months without doing it and then randomly will start back at it. I'm at a loss. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
It sounds like anxiety to me. Not sure how to desensitize her to your leaving but would assume you could do some training with really special treats while you step outside. I'm assuming you've ruled out medical causes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
It sounds like anxiety to me, too. Have you taken her to the vet to rule out any UTI or anything else that could be causing it?

What is your routine when you leave? Have you thought about crating her when you leave if she continues?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Have you taken her to the vet and had her checked out? Wait until she has another accident and then take her right in. Recurring UTI would be my first guess. Anxiety second but since it goes weeks inbetween I am less sure of that one.

Regardless, I would start to crate or confine her when you are gone. Crates help to reduce anxiety since it becomes the dog's den and safe spot. Dog's do not see it as punishment if done correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far! So we crated her for probably the first year and a half, but there were times the same thing would happen. That being said, she's only had one discovered UTI.

I've noticed more chewing in the past few months though so anxiety makes sense - not sure why my mind didn't connect the two. When we first began to leave and let her roam there were no issues ever. But in December, she began chewing shoes and just last night my wife noticed she had pulled out a cord from under our media cabinet and was chewing it on her pallet. I'll have her tested for a UTI today to rule that out and then we'll go back to the crate life I guess.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
If it is anxiety, and you want to leave her out of the crate, it may be a process. I had not crated my golden that I had since a puppy for several months when I adopted my rescue who is the same age. My rescue has anxiety. I just assumed he would be ok with same level of freedom of the house, but it actually created more anxiety for him. We went back to basics; crated for a few months and then allowed into a couple rooms of the house with gates while we were gone. It's taken time, but he's much better now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would almost go back to the crate.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I would go back to the crate also and maybe make sure it's covered so she feels nice and safe. Good luck :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts