Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... never thought I’d be writing this, but just would like a little insight, I have a golden retriever named Chevy, or big dog, or Chevy dog, he had a lot of names, but after dinner tonight we had to do some running, and he went in his kennel for less than two hours, we returned and he passed away, he looked like he was asleep, other than his eyes were open, any possible ideas what this could have been from? He was a very happy and healthy best friend, and great dog, I just don’t know what could have happend he was only 2 years old :(

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Oh what a tragedy!
There are so many things- only you know if he could have ingested a poison, or something along those lines- but if not, young dogs who die without warning often have SAS- sub-aortic stenosis. It is problem in the breed, screening both parents by cardiologist has cut the incidence down, but it still happens. Usually they are happy, having been playing, and then they die. The only way to be certain is to do a necropsy but you have probably already buried him. It is a beloved dog that has many names, I love that you mention that. Run free, Chevy, Big Dog, Chevydog..you were much loved.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Wow, I am so sorry. I can't even imagine how shocked and sad your family must be. I would contact his breeder to see if they have any ideas what could have happened. 2 is way to young to be saying goodbye to sweet Chevy.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,452 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss of Chevy........

As Prism said above, the only way to find out is to have a necroscopy done.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wow, so devastating, especially in such a young dog. My deepest condolences.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
What a terrible thing to come home to! I am so sorry. I had a 3 year old golden suddenly pass and it ended up being bloat. My vet met me at his office on a late Sunday night and took me back to his surgery room where he showed me exactly what had happened. We initially thought of poison and were frightened for our 2 goldens at home.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
That is so awful. I'm so sorry for your loss and the for the trauma that you must have experienced finding him. Poor boy. My guess was his heart, but you wouldn't know for sure without a necropsy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts