Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm happy I found this forum and glad to join fellow retriever owners and lovers. Our beloved 2-year-old cream retriever has elbow dysplasia and arthritis--x-rays confirmed it. We are very sad for her, and surprised by this at her young age--the breeder disappeared after I alerted him to it so I don't know if any other dogs in her litter are also afflicted (if he'd even know). According to our vet surgery isn't really an option; with the onset of arthritis it's not going to make much of an improvement. And cost is a major concern as well. She was getting adequan shots twice a week for a month, per the vet, which seemed to help a lot, but now that they have tapered off she's limping again, and frequently. The vet said she could go back on it at same frequency for another month before reducing it to just once a month, and she's also been taking duralactin twice a day. But the vet says that while this won't reduce her life span she'll never really be an off-leash dog again; it's something she'll/we'll have to manage lifelong. But for a retriever not to be able to run free... Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, are there other options we could consider? We're keeping her weight controlled, and I've read about hydrotherapy, but again, the cost makes it largely prohibitive. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does she have omega 3's in her diet? Fish oil preferably? Studies have shown that omega 3's do help reduce the pain associated with arthritis in dogs.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi, I'm happy I found this forum and glad to join fellow retriever owners and lovers. Our beloved 2-year-old cream retriever has elbow dysplasia and arthritis--x-rays confirmed it. We are very sad for her, and surprised by this at her young age--the breeder disappeared after I alerted him to it so I don't know if any other dogs in her litter are also afflicted (if he'd even know). According to our vet surgery isn't really an option; with the onset of arthritis it's not going to make much of an improvement. And cost is a major concern as well. She was getting adequan shots twice a week for a month, per the vet, which seemed to help a lot, but now that they have tapered off she's limping again, and frequently. The vet said she could go back on it at same frequency for another month before reducing it to just once a month, and she's also been taking duralactin twice a day. But the vet says that while this won't reduce her life span she'll never really be an off-leash dog again; it's something she'll/we'll have to manage lifelong. But for a retriever not to be able to run free... Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, are there other options we could consider? We're keeping her weight controlled, and I've read about hydrotherapy, but again, the cost makes it largely prohibitive. Thanks for your suggestions.
Sorry to hear that. Keeping her weight under control is the key. It's going to be a fine line between too little and too much exercise. Take her to a dog friendly spot to go swimming in the summer.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
ED is so hard. Hard on the dog, hard on the family... I'm sorry. I've only ever had one, and she actually had an OFA elbow clearance but her ED was one that couldn't be seen except for by CT. So she was spayed and placed and I learned a great deal. She was given stem cell treatment and it was a success- no limp, no issues.
Interestingly to me, she'd been a puppy who had horrible bouts of panosteitis, and her pedigree- I accepted the vet's note as to stud dog's injury and believed the owner re: his lack of elbow clearance. I would not do that now- in fact, his produce on OFA clearly show an elbow problem and there may be others who like my girl had a clearance but in fact also had ED. She took duralactin for months. It didn't really help. She was (like all my dogs) on Vit C and fish oil sporadically but more often than not. This was all as a puppy. Then adulthood brought limps now and then til I finally got the CT as a result of being tired of that limp showing up @ an ob trial and being dismissed for lameness.
All that to say you are not alone and I am sorry. The only thing I know of that has great success is stem cell treatment, which takes months and big expense. But it does work in most cases. I'm sorry your breeder disappeared.You should name them which will be the only way the word will be out. As well, I would input the pedigree to k9data.com (and if you don't know how or want someone else to do it, you can email it to me and I will do it) and I would send the radiographs to OFA for assessment. The vet who did the rads will have the films still, and the cost is minimal- worth every cent to get the word out and hopefully inform others. Sign the line that allows releasing abnormal results. Once you get the fail, put that on k9data.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome to the forum! So sorry about your dog... It's so hard to see them in pain, especially when they are so young. FWIW when my dog had arthritis the DogAware website was my bible for things to try. We did Vit. C, fish oil, got her off most carbs (went to raw fed), kept her lean, put her on an herbal anti-inflammatory (Zyflamend), and, most importantly, got her regular acupuncture and chiropractic. A holistic vet might have other remedies in their arsenal than a traditional vet will. That's about all I can offer for now.... hopefully others will chime in with good suggestions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for all your suggestions. This is all so helpful. I will try anything--fish oil's an easy one--and I'll look into releasing the radiographs to OFA and inputting to K9data. If I have any questions I'll let you know. I had been reading about stem cell treatment, which sounds really promising, albeit expensive, and have been wondering about holistic options. I am looking for a holistic vet in my area.

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
You will have a wonderful experience with you pup whether she can run free or not. Oscar (6 YO) has a lumbar disk issue. He is on an array of holistic remedies (ligament supplements & glucosamine) as well as chiropractic. All seem to be helpful. And as others have mentioned weight control is absolutely critical. Our vet has advised us that walks longer than 45 minutes are to be avoided and running any distance is not a good idea. The point of all this is that we have adapted to some of his limitations, as has he. Having him in our lives is a joyful experience as I am sure you will continue to have with your pup! Keep us posted on her progress.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Have you considered any alternative medicines after checking with your own vet? I am speaking of CBD oil in particular. If you choose to look into CBD, I recommend ONLY the pure CBD (full spectrum) oil that is available in medical dispensarys where legal. Other sources exist, but I would hesitate using anything not discussed with a vet.

BEWARE: CBD from industrial hemp contains NO CBD or other Cannabinoids. It is only the full spectrum CBD that is the one that I would buy. Avoid any products claiming miracles. CBD is not a miracle, but might be worth a look. (if your vet approves). CBD is now legal in all states except 2!

My recently passed 14.5 yr old Border Collie got a 6 month extension of her life after I put her on it.
Cost for 30ml was $17usd with my MMJ card. Without the card it was $20..still a great deal imo.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with SSR or anyone else..Retired!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much. You're the second person on this forum to recommend CBD, and an outside person endorsed it as well. I will talk to my vet but this is really helpful to have an image for the one I should get.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks so much. You're the second person on this forum to recommend CBD, and an outside person endorsed it as well. I will talk to my vet but this is really helpful to have an image for the one I should get.
You're welcome!
There are plenty of medical grade CBD products. I posted what I bought for info only. Just plz avoid sketchy sources and of course listen to your vet. Many vets won't talk about anything Cannabis due to the CURRENT and ever changing FDA stance. I am friendly with my vet and she could not discuss CBD at all, (but she is progressive and VERY interested, since there is no rule about listening..LOL) and we are 100% state legal (Nevada). I did my own research and there was no harm in trying on my recently passed 14.5 yr old's case (Old age is incurable). She became a new dog and somewhat puppy like. Hadn't seen her playing in ages and it warmed my heart. (and still does)

Here is a thread that was closed with some more information to look at. (was my thread)
Start at #6

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your girl's diagnosis.

Here is a thread that was put together by member Iowa Gold who is a Vet, it's an older thread but has a lot of good information in it about joint supplements.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Here's a good read on CBD for dogs that attempts to dispel the myths that are circulating out there today, about CBD and Cannabis in general for our dogs...

A short and worthwhile read for anyone interested. Since our Vets in Nevada are not allowed to discuss anything Cannabis, due to the FDA. I had to do alot of my own research before administering it to my own dogs.

In my case, the "patient" was a 14.5 yr old Border Collie ..
For my dog, the inevitable occurred..SIX months after I was ready for her final ride . (he appointment was already made..and then cancelled!)
" Winner, Winner, Chicken dinner"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts