Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! It's been a long 2 weeks since I have rescued my now 5 month old pup. She's been a pain and a delight all in one. I've never owned a retriever breed and have learned of the gremlin personality once she touches water. Lots of fun. :)

I work from home and have spent most of my time with her since I work in an office. This is a double edged sword because I have been able to fix many bad behaviors but it has created a potential separation anxiety issue too.

On an average day, I take my daughter to daycare and she comes along for the ride. I try to walk her during my lunch hour and at least on another break if I have time OR at least take her to play for a few games outside. If I have gone anywhere, I have taken her with me unless I absolutely cannot take her. She was a bit scared of things so with constant socialization, she's been showing great signs of improvement for things she was absolutely scared of before.

I have a few problems that I wanted to see if anyone had any solutions. I'm not against dog training but I did that before years ago with another dog and remembered most of it was homework anyhow. But hopefully, you all have some suggestions on these issues:

1) I'm going on a vacation that was planned ahead before the rescue called me. I had to take the pup or lose the opportunity at such a young dog. I think they liked that I worked from home too. I have someone to dog/house sit (family member) and someone to dog walk (family friend) because of trust levels on both levels. So, the dog will have exercise but since I've been kind of not keeping up on the crating even at night (she sleeps in bed with us and sleeps all night without crying), I'm wondering if I've sort of screwed myself or if i can train her this weekend somehow to prepare her for times the person housewatching might crate her. She has learned how to unlock the crate so extra measures are in place to prevent the sliding and she yells, screams, paws etc the crate when in it. I've been feeding her only in her crate for a bout a week so she isn't afraid to enter anymore. So any suggestions on this area to help so if they had to leave to go to the store for an hour, she would not freak out as much?

2) Speaking of sleeping in bed, i have a daughter who is in between teething and sleeps better in our bed....go figure. I've lost that war with the wifey but nonetheless, she's there. My dog does really well with my daughter except in the mornings when she's a little more hyper and full of energy. She steps on my daughter or paws her by accident. I know it's all accidents but I get a little frustrated cause I'm not sure how to teach her to respect her being there. During the night though, she's absolutely good. It's only a morning issue. Help!

3) And probably a frequently asked question, but since I didn't get to train her from 8 weeks, anyone had any luck on a non prong or choke collar and walking without pulling? I've been reading and plan on taking it slower by using treats to lure her on a walk, but my future goal is to not have a pulling dog. I really need to figure this out now because i want my daughter to be able to walk her in the future and I've always had dogs that pulled. To add to that, I've had trained dogs that could return off leash, listen to commands, but I always struggled in this area of walking.

Thank you so much! I can update with additional information if needed on follow up questions. Otherwise, thank you for reading/helping!!

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
No reason to beat yourself up about pup sleeping in your bed, I did the same and she still sleeps in my bed.
It's just me but would never leave a 5 month puppy home alone, she is too young. I would find a boarding facility or hire someone to come stay at your home. It's not the crating (which takes time to teach) it's all the alone time that could cause you some personality problems. This could be pretty traumatic for a pup that is used to having someone home most of the time. Even boarding at the vet will provide lots of stimulation and attention all day long, they will be walked often and pups usually settle down and sleep when the lights go out. Perhaps someone in the rescue group would foster while you are gone??

NEVER use a restrain type collar on a puppy, they have very sensitive necks and can cause damage. In fact it's a good idea to use a harness. If you want to try a gentle leader this can be very effective and will get quick results.
But honestly you need to teach the dog not to pull. I travel with kibble in my pocket. When the pup pulls I stand still and wait for them to calm down and look at me. As soon as they do I let them come to me for a kibble and we start again. You have to be more interesting than anything else on the walk. If they don't catch on you need a treat of higher value like boiled chicken or you need to start this lesson in the back yard without so many distractions. Walking without pulling is an exercise in learning just as teaching a sit or come command. It has to be learned and is a process. If you aren't taking classes you should find a good training class where they focus on obedience. They will help you learn how to train your puppy and promise this will make the rest of the puppyhood much easier.

Maybe this youtube video will help with loose leash walking
https://youtu.be/sFgtqgiAKoQ?list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the only issue with having the rescue watch her is the reason I have her now verses after my vacation. It's near a holiday and people seem to depart from their animals around holidays per the rescue lady. So, they have all hands on deck ready to foster any and all Golden Retrievers that arrive at Shelters or owner releases and didn't want to lose a pair of hands to watch my dog instead of giving it to the next person in line.

I do have someone watching her all day long but they may end up leaving to run an errand and she panics a bit in her crate. I'll be gone 4 nights so I was trying to figure out anything to do between now and next Wed to help her get adjusted to her crate if she has to leave for an hour or two.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
4 nights? Silly me thought you were talking about a week or 2, sorry. So what do you do when you have to leave the house for errands? Do you have a puppy play pen? Might be less restrictive than a crate. We didn't use a crate until my girl was a yr old and had no issues with it but used to gate her in a safe place when I needed groceries.

Do you have a neighbor or friend with a friendly dog? Nothing wears out a pup like another dog. A tired puppy may be too pooped to care about being in the crate for a couple of hrs. Some of this may be related to loosing all his buds at the rescue group. Rescues go through lots of crate time going to the vet, staying at the vet for treatments, going to fosters, going to adoption events. They may not like it but do survive. Your pup will be really glad to see you when you get home :)

I'm glad you rescued this pup and sorry it's created such a conflict for you. Make sure your sitter has the name & number of your vet and the e-clinic for just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts