Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All,

We are getting our puppy on saturday and have been reading tons about trainign etc. the only question that i have not been able to find much on is the following:

How do two people train one dog>?

My wife and I both want to be very active with the training but not confuse the puupy.
Is it possible for both of us to conduct trainign senssions together..so for 15 minutes we are both teaching sit....or is it better for one session her to do it, and another session later in the day it is my turn?

We both want to dog to listen to us, is it possible to have two masters?

Thank youa ll for your insight!!!!!

Matt & Rachel:wavey:

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Instead of doing it together I would start with separate sessions. Main concern would be for both of you to settle on the command words and hand signals that you put with the words so you will not confuse the pup. IE - if you use Lay and the wife uses down for the same command - that the puppy will get confused.

·
Kate
22,281 Posts
I know people who both train their dog - though the husband is the primary trainer. I've trained with them for years (their girlie is the same age as Jacks).

And others where the wife does obedience with the dog and the husband does field work - and the dog trains with both people through basic obedience - because obedience is very important for field work.

Through puppy - regular obedience classes (not comp), we've been around trainers who are switching back and forth during class. It seems like the husband does all the walking type exercises with the dog and the wife does the other stuff.... but then they do combine for some exercises. The dog's fine and the people seem to have had a lot of time in the classes? The nice thing was when one spouse couldn't make it, the other popped in.

Sometimes it works - sometimes not.

I had a chuckle when sitting down and talking with Bertie's breeder about training. She and her son have both been working with one of their dogs (Bertie's uncle) and that's obedience and fieldwork. She ran into a little problem with the dog looking for her son when he was supposed to be working with her. You do have favoritism that develops with these dogs - especially goldens. :)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My husband and I both worked together to train Ben. In class, we took turns being in charge of the leash. There was no problem with that, as far as I can tell. We were consistent in the words we used and the hand signals. And playing games with come are much easier when you have two or more people. The only time we had problems was with agility. I think there our different body language worked against us - or it may just be that Ben wasn't ready for it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My wife and I both train our golden and it works fine for him so long as I am not too close by as I do probably 75% of the training and he puppy dogs me around the house,etc. I tend to think it is better for the dog to be willing to work with someone else, in the event we have friends or relatives watch him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts