Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I think puppies lose their teeth at some point to make room for adult teeth? Correct? If so, when do they start to lose them?

2) My wife thinks the puppy ate the rubber portion of a pacifier...probably the size of a thumb nail. Is this going to be a serious problem, or will she just pass it? I'm not sure if it ended up being shredded before going down.

We're normally very careful about watching her but my wife let her do the crazy post-bath run around and she somehow headed off to the babies room. :doh:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
1) I think puppies lose their teeth at some point to make room for adult teeth? Correct? If so, when do they start to lose them?

2) My wife thinks the puppy ate the rubber portion of a pacifier...probably the size of a thumb nail. Is this going to be a serious problem, or will she just pass it? I'm not sure if it ended up being shredded before going down.

We're normally very careful about watching her but my wife let her do the crazy post-bath run around and she somehow headed off to the babies room. :doh:
Yes, they will lose their teeth at about 4 months.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pacifier. I'd just keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating, drinking, and pooping normal. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep about the teeth, my puppy is 4 1/2 months and he's lost quite a few now and those big boy teeth are tearing through.

And for the other, from what I hear, some Goldens on here have eaten way worse and lived to tell the tale. I would think it would be fine, but I'm no expert. If you're really worried, give the vet a call.

:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
We have a 4 month old puppy & he has lost almost all his front teeth & I barely noticed. Sometimes you find them on the floor. I did with our older puppy, but this one I didn't find any, so either they were swept or he ate them.

If that tip of the pacifier is all your puppy eats, consider yourself lucky. You don't have to read very far on here to see a bunch of things that have been eaten. Some cause problems, most things don't. Our older puppy when she was small laways seem to find eraser tops, the kind that slip over a pencil. The youngest eats part of my oxygen tubing.
You can call your vet if you are concerned but they will likely tell you just to watch them. Certainly if they started vomiting or couldn't pass stool you would be concerned, but it should pass & you may not even know it.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about the pacifier. I remember talking to my vet sometime ago about such things and he said his golden had swallowed a whole tennis ball and managed to pass it a few days later. He said you'd be surprised what they can pass - I know I was after hearing that story.

As long as his stools are regular and his appetite is normal I think he'll be fine. But a call to the vet might help ease your concerns.

Pete

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Puppies usually start to lose their baby teeth just before the turn 5 months old. Don't be surprised if there is occasional bleeding during this time. It's totally normal. Frozen washcloths and cold carrots are great for chewing on while they are teething.

I don't think you have to worry about the pacifier. If it was just a small piece, it should pass without difficulties.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, that would be good if we don't have completely panic. I think since she's so small, and it was a rubber knob I was worried. We'll keep an eye on her over the next couple days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts