Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started two new skills with Flip today. The first is a paw touch, in case I decide that I want to do a touch based go out with him. So I brought a stanchion inside and I'm having him slap it for his dinner. I'm not sure I'll end up using it on go outs with him, but I want him to already know that behavior if that is how I decide to go with it later on.

I'm also teaching him to run through a chute. That way later on I can put a chute out in order to make sure he is lining up with me at a distance on returns (in hopes of making it easier to get a straight front). I'm using broad jump boards turned on their sides now so they'll be obvious for him; later on I'll change to smaller and smaller items.

I'm shaping both of these things with a clicker.

I sure wish I would have known to train small things like this early in my other dogs' training. I don't think I trained pieces of anything with them until I was ready to start teaching the actual exercise it would be needed for.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to do another quick session of "touch," and I didn't feel like putting Colby, the Lhasa, up, so I figured a little sibling rivalry wouldn't hurt anything. They were doing great, both going up and slapping the stanchion with their paw. Then Flip decided it would be more fun to slap Colby's head. So he kept slapping his paw at Colby's head and looking to me for his treat. It was very cute! (although I don't think Colby thought so)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Ya, I always have Twister trying to do what I am teaching the big dogs to do. He tries to be so cute so he gets a treat too! Sounds like your are doing some fun winter "games".

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I taught Kirby to touch with her nose to my hand. We play this game before Rally runs to keep her focus on me. For the fun of it I taught her to touch her nose to my nose when I say kiss.... well, little miss "I love cookies" will give me "kisses" when ever she wants a cookie now. Needless to say I get a lot of kisses and when she misses "smootched up glasses". LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts