Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice is appreciated!

Our Maggie Mae has not been herself for the past two days -no major disruptions, but still not her chipper self. Yesterday when I came home for lunch to let her and her brother Marlowe out to play, her head was swollen 3x's its normal size. Of course, I took her directly to the vet. She was treated with a shot for an allergic reaction, most likely due to an insect bite or sting, and sent home with antibiotics (in case of underlying infection I guess??). I was also instructed to give her Benadryl when we got home. She took 25mg at 2pm and another 25mg at 11pm to ease the swelling. This morning, she woke up and vomited. You can tell from her expression that she feels terrible, though the swelling in her face has gone down for the most part. I'm concerend that the swelling was caused by another underlying illness associated with the lethary and vomiting -not an allergic reaction.

I have a cousin and an uncle who are vets, so help during the holidays won't be a problem and I plan on phoning the vet as soon as they open. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
hope she is doing a little better.... there have been a lot of people on the forum that have had goldens with allergic reactions to bugs. i think if you search benadryl you might find the threads.
welcome to the forum, sorry you had to join because of your poor pupper not feeling well. when she is better post pictures or tell us about her.
beth, moose and angel

·
Murphy's mom
1,025 Posts
I'm so sorry she is feeling so bad. Yes I would be calling the vet as soon as they open.

I probably would be calling one of my vet relatives right now, and getting their advice.

good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Oh poor Maggie Mae, I'm sorry she's feeling so poorly! Just a thought... might the Benidryl be making her feel sick. I know that when I take antihistamine it makes me feel pretty groggy, so would assume that it might affect dogs in a similar way.

I hope she feels much better very soon - how lucky are you to have relatives who are vets!!!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
That sounds really scary. I hope you get some more answers when the vet opens and that your baby recovers quickly.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
This happen to Abbie about a month ago... exact same thing... she was biten by a spider. she ended up only throwing up once after the benadryl. It took her a week to return to acting normal. The vet said it would take a few days for the poison to leave her system.

·
Mom to 1 Human & 1 Dog
1,045 Posts
So sorry your Maggie Mae isn't feeling well. Poor pup! Could the antibiotics be upsetting her tummy? I do remember the vet telling me in the past that it can make dogs feel yucky (sort of like humans). Get well soon Maggie Mae!!!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I hope everything resolves soon. It's good that the Bendryl worked for the swelling. Tucker was stung by a bee an it took a good 48 hours before he recovered completely. I actually had to give him more than one dose of Bendryl. He never vomited though.

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
Poor girl!!! Our 2 goldens that are no longer with us had been stung once as well. It made their noses swell up at least twice the normal size. I hope she gets better very soon!

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
That sounds really scary for you and for Maggie. I'm glad you have vets in the family, even if just for peace of mind. Let us know the cause/results. Hope she is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope she is starting to feel better and it is a bite now getting out of her system. Welcome to the forum and sorry you had to find us due to this problem with her. Please let us know how she is doing. It must have been so scary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts