Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
My husband and I finally took the plunge and got a Golden puppy on March 12th, 2005 - the first dog for both of us. We named him Wilson and we can't believe how fast he is growing! He is now 25 pounds at 3.5 mos old and still cute as ever. He starts puppy training classes tomorrow, and if we do well we will eventually shoot for the Canine Good Citizens title through the AKC. We have a 2 year old cat, Portia, who is still only lukewarm about Wilson - but we still have hope.

Right now we enjoy taking him on short walks, going to the pet store, and having friends, neighbors and family come by to see him. He does great for a puppy and everyone loves him! He had some trouble with biting and digging, but with persistence, a lot of chew toys, and close supervision we seem to be past that. He does still like to jump on people - so we're teaching him "off".

I just tried to attach some pictures but they are too large, I instead posted them under the puppy section - keyword "Wilson".

·
Registered
38 Posts
HE'S SO CUTE!!!!!!:D

Makes me want to go out get me another dog, only a puppy this time.... Just what I'd need - three goldens -talk about heaven!

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
Nancy said:
...He had some trouble with biting and digging, but with persistence, a lot of chew toys, and close supervision we seem to be past that...
Uh... I wouldn't count on that just yet. Sidney kept biting, though we continued to mildly correct and re-direct, until he turned ~14weeks old and then we started to notice just a hint of self-control developing. He would just start to bite and then you could see an epic battle was being waged in his little head between the 'devil dog' that said "Go ahead and bite" and the 'angel dog' who was saying "Go get a toy instead"... then suddenly he would yelp-out in frustration... poor little guy. And ever since then his biting has slowly been diminishing until today, at just over a year of age, he will still occasionally very gently mouth your arm just to get some attention. This is one 'mouthy' breed.

And the digging?... we are still working on that one (though he is vastly better today than he was 8 months ago)... so don't get discouraged if you find out he hasn't quite given up on all the biting and digging just yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback

On the weight thing, and the behavior issues. Glad to hear it isn't just my pup. We went to puppy class last night and since we will be training with treats we are reducing what we normally give him in puppy food. We can definitely feel his ribs and vertebrae, but will be cautious with food anyway. He did good in class. He already knows how to sit and come - but didn't know "down" or "heel". The trainer knows her stuff - she had a 150 lb. Bullmastif that won obedience titles. Wilson didn't need to go to the bathroom until we got home!

Anyway - thanks for all the feedback. Where in Northern Michigan do you live?
Nancy

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
Nancy said:
... Where in Northern Michigan do you live?
Nancy
The little town of Reed City, just about where the knuckle for the ring finger is (to any 'outsiders' reading this, its a Michigan thing, the lower peninsula is sometimes referred to as 'the mitt') and we have a small lake cottage in the U.P. around McMillan... a really tiny town.

Yes, I think keeping Wilson's weight and growth rate down (at least while he's a puppy) is one of the best things you can do to help guard against future bone and joint problems... lately I've been seeing a lot of very overweight/oversized retrievers pups/dogs (goldens/labs/mixed)... it makes me sad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all!

I am blessed with the companionship of Teddy the Golden Retriever, who will be 10 in Sept. but looks and acts 5, thank heaven! He is the light of my life and keeps me going through thick and thin!

I can't say enough about Golden Retrievers, they are truly a cut above us all.

Best to all,

Marnie

·
Registered
33 Posts
He's sooo cute! ***just make sure you keep him interested in the toys! my golden puppy gets bored with them every two days, so we have to keep rotating them :p ***

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find that, although Teddy will not seek out a digging place, he has on occasion out of boredom, done some digging, usually when he finds open dirt [we're restoring an old pre revolution house and landscaping, walks and gardens along with it so there's often a pile of untended dirt somewhere!]. When he's bored and left to his own devices while we're working outside, he will start digging in the dirt and then lie down in it...he loves the cool feel of it I think. But he only does it when he's left alone and bored. This breed is so interactive with people and they want to be completely involved with us at all times. When we're in the middle of a project he'll come and stand right in the middle of it! As long as he's where the action is, he's happy. Otherwise he'll dig himself a hole in the dirt and lie down in it to wait until we're ready to play with him.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Teddy sounds like quite the card. Aren't they wonderful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts