Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we decided to start on the ever so long road towards an RAE and found that road has a big pot hole.

We went to check in at the Rally ring to find that the judge wasn't handing out course maps (first trial we didn't get a map) and the map she had posted was so small and orientated upside down. If you weren't right in front of it you couldn't see it. Needless to say, not having the map threw me a little off kilter. :eek:

During our excellent run Mr. Hyde appears: :--devil:

So I do the walk-thru and then go to get Augie on the line as we are the 3rd team in. I can tell Augie is just not checked in, try to do a quick warm up but we are called into the ring. As soon as the leash comes off so goes Augie's attention :bowl:. The first half of the course was a disaster so I figured we'd NQ'd and just continued on as if it were training class. He was so distracted that when I cued the jump he almost walked into the jump post. He looked at me like "where did this come from?". :doh: I cued it again and he literally hopped over it as he was right up against the bar, luckily he didn't knock the bar down.

So then on to the Honor exercise we go, it was a sit which halfway through he decided to change it to a stand. I could see the Ring steward writing furiously on the clipboard. It seemed we were there forever, finally it was over. When I went to check our score I was astonished to see not an 'NQ", but a 72! As horrible as we were, we qualified. This was truly a gift. :--keep_silent:

Saved by the good Dr. Jekyl:

For our advanced class I switched out Augie's collar from a martingale flat collar to a choke chain (I just changed collars, he didn't get a correction). That lone act seemed to transform him. When we stepped in the ring he was on fire, we got a 94. :FIREdevil

We finished the day with our first RAE leg, barely. 1 down, 9 to go. I hope I survive the trip.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Congrads on the leg. A leg is a leg!! Just think "moving on up".

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
As Fuzzbuzz said, a Q is a Q, AKC doesn't list the scores, so as far as I am concerned, You and Augie had a GREAT day! Congratulations!!

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,692 Posts
Oh, so the Obedience Gods grace the Rally Ring too ? :)

Congratulations to Augie and you.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
It is funny how each run has its own chemistry and karma. Congratulations on pulling out that Q!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Oh, so the Obedience Gods grace the Rally Ring too ? :)

Congratulations to Augie and you.

Love it!!! Thank heaven the Obedience gods grace other venue's as well! ;)

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,692 Posts
677 Posts
I totally get what you mean by the "Mr. Jekyll" comment! It seemed that everytime we entered a rally ring, a familiar but dreaded look appeared in Casey's eye...
We finished our RE in August and plan to avoid the RAE route until we are a bit more disciplined. I am hoping that more obedience will help us. Good for you for sticking out your first run! I was often very tempted to ask to be excused, only to discover a not so bad score at the end of it all...it is your dignity as a handler (please, please do this!!) that suffers!

·
Gone to the Goldens ;)
1,150 Posts
Congrats on your first RAE leg! Remember, the scores don't go on the title certificates! ;) He will improve and that's what counts!

I am going for an RAE with Aubrie. We have 6 legs! More than half-way there! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts