Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

18 week old pup on Canidae ALS question...

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  CarolinaCasey 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and have enjoyed reading other posts, but I have a question...which may be simple or not...unsure... :confused:

My husband and I adopted our sweet boy Oliver when he was 10 weeks old (he is now 18 weeks). Shortly after bringing him home we slowly switched him over to the Canidae ALS formula. He tolerated it well, and I believe he likes it...he has never eaten a whole bowl of food at once, he is kind of a grazer with his food throughout the day, which we are fine with. We do feed him according to the bag...he gets 2 cups of food in the morning, which he usually finishes by lunchtime; then another 2 cups of food around 3, which he finishes by about 8 or 9pm. We freely leave water out for him also. Right now he is 34lbs and moderate energy...probably would be high if we let him, but he lives in a relatively calm household, so has seemed to acclimate to his environment, and usually only runs crazy when he is outside frequently throughout the day.

So here is my question...how many bowel movements do most puppies/ dogs on this food have throughout the day and what do they normally look like? Oliver's first BM of the day is usually large, dark brown, and formed. Throughout the day, he probably goes about 5-6 times, and they progressively get lighter and softer. I'm wondering if this is normal...he is our first puppy ever. Our vet said it is normal...but after reading other posts on here, I'm wondering if he is mistaken...I had not ever told him about our food changeover from the puppy chow he came to us on.

On another note, Oliver has been 95% potty trained since the day he came home with us. He never goes to the bathroom in the house...but when he is in the car, sometimes he randomly can't hold his poop and goes on his pad that covers the seat! Before getting in the car, we make him do both, but every once in a while he can't hold it and goes again! I do not believe it is nxiety related, because he loves car rides and loves to follow us out to the car and jump up into his "spot"...he is not "over excited" or anything in the car, he just sits there and looks out the window. So, I started thinking maybe this was related to the softer poop throughout the day?
Any info you guys could provide, or experience with this food etc would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again! :wave:

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. Im my years of reading this forum there is no ONE perfect food for goldens. I know I have tried several higher end foods but have finally settled on Purina One for my guys. If your pup is having loose stool you may have to go with a less rich food.

#3 ·
If they eat all day long, they will poop all day long. I feed my dogs three times/day until four months. Then twice daily forever. Mine usually eat two to three cups/day at that age. Mine usually poop 4-5 times daily at that age. I like to know exactly how much my dogs eat at a feeding. Never mind, we have six, so grazing is not an option.

Reactions: LibertyME
#4 ·
Did you have a fecal checked???

#5 ·
Oh yes, he has had 2 fecals done since he has been with me, both of which have been negative...last one was done a little over 2 weeks ago...he has had this pooping problem since on Canidae. Maybe we would try to switch him to another food that is less rich, thanks for that tip. I really like the idea of feeding him a food that doesn't have all the "fillers" in it...so I'll do some more research. Thanks for the tip Oaklys Dad. It is a relief to know that he is not going poop in excess...

#7 ·
This sounds a lot like our Jessie. We tried to switch her over to Blue Buffalo (very slowly) but she could not handle the richness of it. She is getting Nutro Ultra right now and is doing really well on it.

#8 ·
My pups do great on Canidae ALS. I didn't start it that young, though. We swtiched at 7 months old. I do think it is fine for younger pups, we just kept him on the food the breeder gave him until that age. I, too, kept them on three meals a day until 6 months old, then 2. 3 cups a day total, at 4-5 months old, so a cup at each feeding. Before switching foods again, you might try a set food schedule and see if that improved his pooping schedule.

#9 ·
You should never feed the amount the bag says to feed, it is always too much food because the manufacturer wants you to buy more, more often! I think you could cut it to 3 cups a day total and that would be enough, as long as he continues growing at a good rate.

I agree with others who have said you should have a set feeding time, 2 or 3 times a day put down food for him, if he doesn't eat it all in 15 minutes pick it up.

Cutting the amount and having set times to eat should make his pooping more predictable and more normal.

#10 ·
Hmm...we really don't ever give him treats...his treats are green beans. So now you have me wondering if maybe that is whats going on!! Maybe I'll cut down on the greeen beans and see if that makes a difference before switching foods. THANKS! Silly me, I didn't even think about the "treats" =)
And I will try to set a feeding schedule for him. Since he was already a grazer, I guess I just ran with it because 3 days/ week my husband and I are both at work, so his lunch time feeding would be missed...
I'm glad you said that about the bag info, because he rarely finishes his food during the day...there is always some left there at the end of the day.

#12 ·
The Wellness I feed is just under 400 kcal per cup, that sounds like a lot of calories.

#13 ·
that sounds like a lot of food for a pup that age. my pup is apprx 22 weeks (turning 5 months on march 8) and he eats 3 meals a day 1 cup each of wellness large breed puppy formula (which is 366 kcal per cup). he's starting to not eat his lunch meal so I'm starting him next week on just 2 meals a day 1 1/2 cups each meal.
also over feeding can cause loose stools (with my first golden I was feeding her too much food during the day and that caused her to have the loose stool problem)

#14 ·
Try going raw at least 50% of the time. A quality dry for one morning meal and say raw at night. You should get on a feeding schedule- twice a day as the dog grows into adult hood. As a puppy now maybe three meals a day. Grazing is probably not the best schedule to have long term.

#15 ·
I think you're overfeeding dear Oliver. Cut to 3 cups total a day. If you must continue with 3 times a day feedings, do 1 cup per meal. Phase out the lunch meal about 5-6 months.

If the dog eats all day, he'll poop all day. Give him 10 or 15 minutes to eat. If there is food in the bowl after that time period, pick up the bowl. Offer the allotted 1 cup at the next scheduled feeding. He will get the idea that I need to eat now or go hungry. It also won't give him the chance to be a picky eater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.