Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female golden, Beija, turned 16 in January. She's been suffering some stiff back legs in the morning and she's on Rimadyl and Tramadol daily. This past week, her condition seemed to take a turn. She is unable to get up on her own at all. When we help her up, we need to physically 'uncross' her back legs and place them in position on the ground. When she takes a few steps, she leans and slumps to the ground. It's heartbreaking.

She spends the day in the same position unless we pick her up and move her (which we have been doing to make sure she doesn't get 'bed sores').

The dog is and has been one of the most incredible dogs I've ever owned and I love her dearly. I've had her since before I had kids. Never had I had to deal with an end of life situation and we are at wits end about when enough is enough for her.

Any advice is more than welcome.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You probably have already done this, but call your vet to get advice. It might be as simple as a pinched nerve or this could be much more serious due to her age.

With my senior, we used a large towel as a kind of sling to support her when she walked. We put it directly in front of her rear legs, taking care not to put too much pressure on her belly. For some dogs, 2 slings may be in order.

With my bridge dogs, I have tried to look at quality of life to help with this terribly difficult decision. One day at a time. If they were still bright and alert and eating, I knew we had another day to spoil and love them. When that changed, it was time.

My heart goes out to you. Sending you positive thoughts.

·
Premium Member
18,259 Posts
I'm so sorry you are facing these issues with your precious girl, they simply don't get long enough to stay with us. 16 years is a long life for a Golden, and is truly a gift and a testament to how well you cared for her. Make her time with you as comfortable as possible now (and take lots of pictures), and Brianne is right, when the spark fades you will know you need to make a very hard decision.

Please feel free to come here and "talk" anytime you need someone who understands. Everyone this board can offer you support, so many of us have been where you are.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Any update on your girl?

Thinking of you and hoping things have improved.

Sending positive thoughts for you and Beija.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beija update...

Since I last posted, things took a turn for the worse. In the early morning, she had a major seizure. My husband and I made the decision that it was time. When we arrived at our vet, she began to have another seizure. The vet was able to give her a sedative, allowing her to relax and give us time to say our goodbyes.

She had a wonderful, long life and gave us so much joy. The picture was taken just over two weeks ago during her last walk in the woods.

Attachments

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm so terribly sorry to hear about Beija. What a beautiful girl! And what a great inspiration that she lived to be 16! Gives the rest of us hope. Please consider making a thread in the Rainbow Bridge section to talk about her and share her story when you feel able.

We have all been in your position, but grief is a very individual thing. Be kind and gentle to yourself during this time. I'm not sure how old your kids are, but they might take comfort in talking about Beija or making some kind of memorial - drawing a picture, a poem, donating some food to a local animal shelter in her name, etc.

Wishing you peace and comfort.

(I sent a PM to Karen519 to correct her name)

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
My heart is breaking for you, that decision is never easy, may she RIP. I hope you find peace...

·
Registered
17,769 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you x

·
Owned by Josie
1,206 Posts
So very sorry for your loss. 16 years is a true testament of the wonderful life you were able to give her.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Allison

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I am so very sorry for your sad loss. It sounds like she was a very special girl and you must have lots of lovely memories of her. 16 years old is a fantastic age for a golden and you were blessed to have her all those years. Losing a golden best friends hurts badly :( she will live on in your heart and memories forever.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,575 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Beija, my thoughts are with you.

She was a beautiful girl and had a long full life with you.

Godspeed sweet girl.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So very sorry to hear about Beija - she reminds me of my Autumn who I just lost. What a beautiful girl and to make it to 16 is certainly a blessing but all the harder for you when it's time to let go. She looked well loved. Hopefully you will find comfort. Godspeed sweet Beija and look up Autumn and give her a hug for me.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.
What a beautiful girl. You were blessed to have her for such a long time.
My prayers are with you during this difficult time.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
I'm so sorry to see this update. I know the sadness you are feeling right now. You were very lucky to have her for 16 years, but it's just never long enough. She looked like a very sweet girl. I'm so sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts