Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, We have a 14 year old golden female. Her diet is 2 meals (3/4 cups) in the AM and PM of dry dog food. We must watch her closely because after eating 1/4 of the food she will throw it up unless we let her outside. It seems as if she can not get the food to pass into her stomach without walking it off. We have snow on the ground so she licks up some snow and that seems to sooth the symptoms.

Our vet says it common in older Golden's. I'm not convinced it is.

Any ideas?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I'm not a health expert and your golden is old but that does not sound normal to me. I've had 14 year olds before. I would be looking for a second opinion. (I guess you are asking here :p:) Some vets don't spend as much time with the older dogs as they should. If you felt you were blown off you probably were.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I don't mean to scare you, but that's how my Spice done for 2 weeks until we got the bad news, that she was full of cancer.

Please get a second opinion, in the meantime I would try some Hamburger/Chicken and Rice to calm her tummy.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am sorry that she is having these issues. Personally I would get a second opinion on this. It doesnt sound normal to me. I had a 13 year old that didnt have these issues. Keep good thoughts for her.

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Welcome to the board. It doesn't sound normal to me, either. You're close enough to CSU that you might try to get in to see a vet there. They're awesome, but very busy. I'd be looking for a second opinion as well.

Good luck and fingers and paws crossed that it's nothing.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
That sure doesn't sound normal to me. I'd be looking for a second opinion, and you've got lots of good options for that in the Denver area. Old dogs can develop something called megaesophagus. Google that and see if her symptoms fit. Hope your senior citizen gets a diagnosis and feels better soon.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'm with the "that's not normal" crowd. In a dog that age, I wouldn't panic or go crazy at the vet's, but at the same time, there might be something significantly wrong in her GI tract, and it's worth looking into.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.