Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new on here. I have a 14 month old golden retriever puppy named Duke. He's a very well behaved puppy for the most part and very social. Two weeks ago he suddenly refused to enter the house through the garage door and will lay down on the ground, sit down and pull to go the other direction to enter through the front door. He still leaves the house through the garage, but won't enter it that way. The only thing that comes to mind is that a bike fell over on him a few weeks ago when he knocked into it, but he isn't refusing to enter the garage - just the house from the garage. Has anybody else encountered something like this or have suggestions on how to help him work through this?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Your puppy is now a teenager!

Yes, just one incident as you described will scare some dogs enough that they need time to trust that the environment is safe.

Mother nature is pretty smart that way...."hey dog remember you got attacked buy that bike last month...avoid the bike and EVERYTHING associated with the bike at all costs because next time it's gonna REALLY get ya!"

If it is critical that he gets over this...Move the bikes out of sight and start to offer him his meals far enough away from the garage that you dont get the reaction...far enough that he will eat comfortably. Then slowly over days or even weeks feed him closer and closer. Eventually tossing treats a few feet inside ...then further and further inside... Take your time and be patient.

BE SURE something else doesnt happen to him (like someone hitting the garage door opener) because if he gets spooked AGAIN...he will be even more wary of the scary place.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Is he afraid of the bikes out of the environmental context of the garage?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks - i'll give it a try. he's really been an easy puppy/teenager so far
and hasn't really had any anxiety issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts