Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 13 yr old Jack has stopped eating/drinking today. Approximately every 30 minutes he seems to be trying to cough up something, or throw up. Nothing comes out.
We have forced liquids down him with a turkey baster. He is very lethargic and is not active.
He has a history of some heart issues, chronic. He has had bowel movements as recently as early this morning. They seem normal. In the past he has eaten some pretty strange things, and we feel he might have eaten some paper products or candy wrappers. Any advice? I would hate to think he might need abdominal surgery, at his age i don't think that would be a good idea.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
I would get him to the vet ASAP. It might be something the vet can easily handle, or it may be something much more serious.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
This sounds like a job for the vetinarian..... like immediately. Bloat comes to mind if he's throwing up frothy white stuff... does he appear distended (Stomach bulging) or uncomfortable?

·
Registered
193 Posts
My golden with IBD.. the moment her stomach was upset she wouldn't drink or eat. She needed a shot of pepcid. It could be something as simple as that .... A vet is def. something to do .. especially when he isn't drinking.please let us know how he is feeling

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum - I'm glad you're here but sorry you found us under these conditions.

What everyone else said - vet visit. ASAP. They can give him subq fluids which will make him feel better fast and then assess. It doesn't take long for them to become dehydrated especially if they're running a fever. Is he?

Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
Yup - vet for sure. At that age, dehydration would be a real worry. And it might be something very simple. Let us know how he is...

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bunk2you

Bunk2you

Praying Jack is doing better.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Dry heaves symptom of tumors

It could be something simple, but dry heaves are a symptom of an internal organ tumor. That's the symptom that led us to have an ultrasound for Charlie, and that resulted in a splenectomy. All of that was about 5 years ago, so trust that a tumor discovery isn't a death sentence.

Good luck!
Lucy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack is feeling better

Well Day 2 has proven to be a good day for the 13 yr old . He is now drinking water and broth. He still has his dry heaves, but they seem to be diminishing in intensity and frequency. He is more alert and has gotten up twice to go outside and urinate...no bowel movement though. No fever...
We are keeping a very close eye on him, if he worsens we will get him to the vet - as most of you have suggested.
Thanks for all the quick replies, nice community you have here!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dry heaves

I neglected to answer one of the questions about Jack, he is not throwing up anything...and does not seem to be in pain. His stomach is not distended or hard.
Hopefully he will be better and able to get on his feet tomorrow, he is just laying in one spot. He has had symptoms of heart issues for the last year - heavy breathing etc.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Sorry, this just does not sound good at all....

A Golden that wont eat is not normal.
A Golden that is dry heaving is not normal. (he is not puking up anything because there is nothing in his stomach to vomit)
A Golden laying in one spot is not normal...

Add in a history of heart trouble.....oh dear.
Im not sure how much worse it has to get....

Goldens are notoriously stoic - just because he is not crying out in pain doesn't mean he is not in pain. He is just good at disguising it.

In addition to Jacks comfort...I am concerned for you.
If you find out that the dog you love has been suffering for days...your going to hate yourself for not bringing him to the vet the minute you even had a hint that he was in pain. His body is not only giving you hints - they are HUGE RED SIGNS!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I got to tell you, from what you are telling us, this sounds very bad, goldens from my experience, do not cry out in pain, when they are really sick, you need to get him to a vet.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm late to this thread, but I agree with the others. Especially considering his age, I'd get him in for a check.

How is Jack this morning?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bunk2you

Bunk2you

I agree with everyone else, he should go to the emergency vet!
ARE him gums pink, or are they pale?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jack is doing better

Jack is feeling better it seems. He is drinking water, eating broth. He is able to walk out to go to the yard when he need to 'go'. Otherwise he just lays around. He still has a few heaves after drinking water, but they continue to diminish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vet

I am hoping to be able to get jack to the vet tomorrow. Lots of personal issues going on. I also cannot lift him because of a back injury suffered last week. I"m sorry that I have not been able to take all your advice, and good advice it is, to take him to the vet. I should have some help tomorrow I hope.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congestive heart failure

Jack has been improving to the point that he now walks around and eats and drinks by himself, and wagging his tail; took him to the vet and the vet said he has congestive heart failure. He has been given a diuretic pill...

The vet said we might try a low protein diet....does anyone have any other thoughts about the subject of diet? or vitamins?

thanks a bunch,

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Sorry I came to this late, but what you were saying doesn't sound like dry heaves but rather like coughing. Early in the thread, I was hoping it was kennel cough, but congestive heart failure does put extra fluid in the lungs, so that would explain it.

You've got a nice old guy there. 13 is a great age to get a Golden to (average age is 10.5). Congestive heart failure is a sign that his body might be breaking down from old age.

That said, there are lots of things you can do to manage geriatric conditions like this and get some more good time with your dog. Is the diuretic furosemide? That can buy you quite a bit of time.

You'll also want to limit his sodium intake in order to mitigate the effects of the extra water in the system. I would not start any supplements that weren't specifically cleared with the vet, since sodium can make the congestive aspect worse, and high protein can hit the kidneys hard because of the decreased blood flow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts