Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My 13 yr old golden girl had to be moved from her kennel to the vet due to her not being able to support herself on her hind legs. She was at the kennel for 5 days, and she has had slight issues over the past year with "getting going" after she has been laying down for a while. She had x-rays and bloodwork at vet, and nothing looks out of the ordinary with regards to her legs. She seems 100% normal with other behavior, she just won't get up :( I have been trying to move/exercise her hind legs, hoping that will help motivate her. Taking her back to the vet today to have them look at her again. Any suggestions on how to get her walking again?
Thanks!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you had to find us under such trying circumstances. I know some of our members have resorted to training wheel systems. Hopefully they will chime in.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
I was also going to suggest swimming. If there are any physical therapy pools around your area for dogs, this could really help her get back a little bit of muscle tone.
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
My senior golden had spondylosis and various spinal issues. Cold laser therapy and acupuncture helped him a lot.
At various times he also was on rimadyl and other anti-iflammatories.
I also would put a heating pad on his hips and used an electric massager to help with his mobility issues.
I hope your girl starts feeling better soon.

·
Maxwell & Ruby's PR Agent
1,024 Posts
Another thought along the lines of cold laser, acupuncture, is having her adjusted by an animal chiropractor. It may be as simple as a "pinched nerve" which wouldn't show on an Xray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts