Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

13 month Golden limping after the trails

651 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Willow52 
#1 ·
Stella and I were walking ( she was being crazy ) in the endowment lands for an hour, I notice towards the end of the walk she had a limp on her right front. It didn't seem to bother her and today ( next morning ) she still has a limp. I have felt around her shoulder/ leg/ paws and there seems to be no pain.

I think she went to hard ( 13 month Golden female ), should I wait a couple of days and then take her to the vet?

she's very active and walks 3 to 4 times a day,

Dean

#2 ·
I would wait a couple of days, limit her activity, and let her rest. If it clears up, when you start walking again, take it slow and continue to limit for another few days. Just like us people, we might feel better, start to run again too soon, and aggravate the injury again. If you see no improvement in a few days, then take her into the Vet. At least this way you can tell him what recuperative care you have been giving her. You know the first question they will ask you is, have you made her rest and take it easy? Might as well get that out of the way. Good luck.

#4 ·
She may have lightly jammed her shoulder. Our last golden would do that periodically while hunting. Vet gave her a couple of cortizone shots when it was bad, otherwise, an asprin and a few days rest took care of it. I would have catagorized it as a very minor nagging injury for her but it never affected her too badly over 13 years of her life.

#5 ·
Have you checked her foot? Sometimes they can get things stuck in between their pads or injure a nail that can cause them to limp.

#8 ·
When Maggie would run hard, especially in her senior years (she didn't know she was a senior!) she'd sometimes limb the next day. The first time it happened I took her to the vet thinking it was an injury, but from then on I'd just make sure she rested the next day and it always cleared up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.