Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what we have been doing. We feed her around 5pm, and take her water up around 8:30pm, then it's bed by 10pm. She has no problems going to her kennel, but for the past few weeks she's been waking us up every 2 or 3 hours to go out. When I do take her out she goes right away so of course I feel bad for ignoring her. But since it's been so cold and we have a fenced in yard I've just been letting her out on her own. Usually she comes right back in since she knows she will get a treat for going potty. But since we have snow now, she wants to stay out and play in it! When we bring her back in she wants up on our bed instead of her kennel. (My hubby introduced her to the bed a while back and she's never forgotten it!) Usually if we put her in her kennel she whines for a minute and then goes to sleep. But the last few weeks she whines, cries, barks non stop and last night EVERY HOUR she woke us up. Finally after the 4th time waking us up (2 AM) we took her out AGAIN, she pottied and then I caved in and put her in bed with us. I know I shouldn't have given in, but I needed to sleep! She lasted 2 hours on our bed and then wanted out again. Hubby took her this time and he didn't notice if she pottied or not. But of course she didn't want to come in as she was playing. Hubby is at the back door in his undies yelling at Payton to get in the house. I hope none of the neighbors were up! :doh:
I know we should be taking her out on a leash to eliminate "Play time" at night, but it's such a chore to get the coat and boots etc. on fast enough so she doesn't go inside. And I know we shouldn't give in to her barking and whining when she wants on our bed, but it at least keeps her quite. Hubby is ready to put her out in the garage tonight, but I won't let that happen since there's no heat out there. I don't know what else to do. It's like she has us right where she wants us!:(

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
One endearing thing about this post is that you actually know all the advice already lol. You know to take her out on her leash and not to let her in the bed - but. . . it's getting up the energy to follow through.

Does she show any signs of a uti during the day? Is she has no urinary tract infection, then she does not need to go out that much. I say you put her in at 10:00 pm totally "empty"( just pottied) and after really playing with her and having fun. Give her a kong or a nylabone, and then ignore her until 2am- take her out once, and then ignore her again until morning.

I am a big believer in positive training, but that old school Monks of New Skete puppy book has one of my all-time favorite lines in it: " Don't be a doorman for your puppy".

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has no UTI. During the day she's fine, only going out when she has to potty. She had so much exercise this weekend especially yesterday that we thought for sure she'd be worn out! Boy were we wrong!
And yes I know what I need to do, I was just hoping someone would have some magical fix that I could use! :) A girl can wish can't she?!?!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was talking to my sister (she has a 8yr old golden) about Payton's behavior last night and we thought why not put her kennel in our son's room. He can sleep through a tornado and he didn't hear any of the commotion last night. That way my hubby and I can get some sleep and if she gets really loud and he doesn't wake up I can go get her. Do you think moving her kennel to a different room will affect her?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie's crate in is my 12 year old daughter's room, and she slept through 3 nights of constant whining and barking no problem! The 4th night, she settled right down and we didn't hear a peep until potty time. After a quick trip outside, she went right back to the crate and back to sleep. It was like magic, it just took some patience to get through those first few nights.
I do have a baby monitor set up so I can hear Josie if she needs me and starts to whine. That way I can hear her before she wakes anyone else up.
Also, she started sleeping through the night at about 10 weeks. I think it may have helped that we didn't play at all during those potty runs - I was all business (OK - I was practically sleepwalking). I learned that from having 3 babies - if you let them play in the middle of the night, they woke up more often. I just am not fun in the middle of the night, no matter how cute a baby you are - human or puppy!:)
P.S. Here's wishing you some sleep in the New Year!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Maybe if you can do a big play session before bed, that will tire her out to sleep longer. I think you will have to suffer and get the coat and boats on each time. Maybe you can put the leash on her, let her get on outside while you get everything on and then pick the leash up when you get outside.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This may sound a little novice of me as I'm new to this whole thing, my puppy isn'y even 10 weeks......but she loves to lick at the snow and ice, obviously I dont like her doing this as I dont want her drinking anything after I've lifted her bowl, thats the whole reason of lifting her bowl...

But possibly, is your puppy just emptying and refilling herself with snow/ice water since you're not out there with her? Causing her to need the loo a few hours later.....

any experts out there, feel free to shoot this theory down if its ridiculous...

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
I keep my shoes and coat right next to Hudsen's crate so that I can put them on and then let him right out. That way he isn't running around while I'm trying to get dressed. I would make sure to take her out RIGHT before bed and then put her straight in the crate. Also, if you absolutely know she doesn't have to go, you can always just give her a quick squirt of water on the nose and say, "No barking." That has worked wonders for Hudsen's whining and barking!

·
Registered
401 Posts
When Scotty was a puppy last year, his crate was in the kitchen on the other side of the house. The hallway has a clear path from the bedroom to the kitchen so I could hear if there was a real problem, but not the little whining. That said, my granddog has had to stay periodically and at first it was horrible--every hour just about. She finally would settle down, but it took days. You have my sympathy. Hope she settles down tonight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well last night wasn't any better. Before bed hubby had a big play session with her and all evening before bed we tried to keep her awake. She went potty, then straight to bed. Hour and a half later barking, whining. I ignored her, but after 20 or so minutes we heard her throwing up. So it was outside, on a leash, where she immediately pooped and peed! So of course I'm feeling like crap since she really did have to go. Back in the kennel and like clock work every 1-2 hours she would be barking and whining. After 30 minutes this time I took her out, again on a leash, and she attempted to poop but nothing came out. Back in the kennel, 2 hours later again she's up. I could tell she was going to throw up again so I quickly took her out and yes she did throw up, then she tried to poop again, but nothing came out. Her poops from earlier are not runny or liquidly and it was her normal amount.
By this time it's only 2 hours before I have to get up and I didn't want to listen to her crying again and also didn't want her getting sick anymore so I put her in bed with us. She went right to sleep!
This morning she didn't eat all her breakfast, was very cuddly and in no way was she her normal attack self in the AM. I can't put her through another night like last night. And needless to say the hubby and I are exhausted! Now what?
Also - during the day she doesn't go potty that much so I don't think it's a UTI.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Oh, poor baby, he sounds like he's so nervous in the crate. I would have had him in my bed at that point too! This might be totally out of left field, but once when my youngest daughter went thru a separation anxiety phase, I ended up with an air mattress on the floor next to her crib. I eventually moved it further away from her, a little at a time, until I was out of the room altogether. Maybe you could try something like this next to his crate. Then if he can see you he might not get so scared? Even if he ends up on the air mattress with you at first at least you aren't letting him in your real bed, so you won't have to break that habit later.
I also read that you can try serving his meals in the crate during the day to make it a positive place to be.
I hope someone who's been through this can give you some good advice.:)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Can you put her crate somewhere in the house where you wont be tempted to put her in bed so you can get sleep? That is a tough situation, because she had some tummy aches clearly and constipation, so you really did need to let her out. What worries me is that she is learning she whines and no matter what gets to go out. Making a dog wait a few minutes is not awful, and is part of crate training. Since you knew she was throwing up you did the exact right thing until you let her in the bed. She's a smart puppy, and she's already trained you.

whine at night = go outside to potty, back in crate + 1 hour nap = wake up bored and whine again = go outside to potty... repeat above formula throughout the night and continue whining and you get to get in bed. :p: The whole "She fell right asleep for two hours" once she was in the bed is what worries me.

Buy some ear plugs if you have to, and if the vomiting and constipation continues you might visit your vet. I'm not sure what age you can start probiotics, but they have alleviated Milly's constipation problems completely and her poops are super regular now.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Oh, poor baby, he sounds like he's so nervous in the crate. I would have had him in my bed at that point too! This might be totally out of left field, but once when my youngest daughter went thru a separation anxiety phase, I ended up with an air mattress on the floor next to her crib. I eventually moved it further away from her, a little at a time, until I was out of the room altogether. Maybe you could try something like this next to his crate. Then if he can see you he might not get so scared? Even if he ends up on the air mattress with you at first at least you aren't letting him in your real bed, so you won't have to break that habit later.
I also read that you can try serving his meals in the crate during the day to make it a positive place to be.
I hope someone who's been through this can give you some good advice.:)
Great tip with the meals! I just assumed all meals were being fed in her crate, and during the day he is going in there with treats or toys for an hour or more while you're doing stuff around the house. I didn't even think this might not be happening. It is critical the crate becomes her safe and happy place! During the day a yummy frozen kong can occupy a puppy for a long time and is a nice way to have positive associations with the crate.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not feed her in her crate, but she goes in on her own so I know she has no problems with the crate. I know she can hold it since over the past weekend we left her for 5 hours in her crate and she didn't have any accidents. Perhaps tonight we'll move the crate out to the living room and see how that works. My concern is every time I take her out in the middle of the night she goes potty, therefore I feel like she's whining with a purpose i.e. to go outside and go potty. BUT I agree she should be able to hold it, so we will work on ignoring her more tonight.
I appreciate all the feedback! I know I'm not the only one with this issue and it helps my sanity (what's left) to hear from other people. Thanks again!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I speak from not having much experience at all, but chucking input in in the hope it may work for you....

Seabiscuit whined and cried alot when we first got her, we kept her cage in the living room, with all the doors open it was just along the hall from the bedroom, so we had to take her out a couple of times a night....she didnt go every time.....my girlfriend Isla read up that dogs like to be a part of a pack, so one morning around 5am when seabiscuit started crying and whining again, I went to the living room, with a duvet and lay in front of her cage, she immediately stopped, sat down and put her head down.

I went to sleep there and never heard a peep till the morning, maybe 8am or so.

So we decided to put her cage into the bedroom (my girlfriend will tell you, I'm dead against letting the dog into our bed), she has been absolutely fine....at just 9 and a half weeks old, we let her sleep wherever till around 11pm or half 11, we stay up waiting to take her out when she wakes up, then she goes straight to her cage as soon as she comes back in and sleeps till we get up for work at 7.

This is purely down to being in the same room and I'm guessing feeling like part of the pack...she has needed out a couple of times in around 10 days but she lets us know.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Yikes that is a tough call, I can see why you are concerned and confused!!! I honestly think Oscar could probably generate some urine every single time he went outside if he was taken out every few hours overnight, just because he is trained that when we go outside, he is supposed to pee! So if it was ONLY that your pup was peeing every few hours, I'd agree that it was probably more crate anxiety and/or boredom and/or loneliness that is the root of her "training" you to get up every few hours when she cries......... HOWEVER the having to poo overnight, straining to make a poo and the throwing up seem more problematic to me. Every time Oscar had to poo overnight, he cried, and it was ALWAYS related to some parasite problem because it was inevitably diarrhea-related, so that part would worry me more, as would the throwing up (personally).

I would agree with trying to move the crate where you won't be tempted to take her out at night, unless you hear throwing up of course. (Oscar also makes a different crying for when he "really needs to go" versus just "whining" because he is unhappy alone in there, but maybe your pup is not that way.) I also agree to make the crate a "happier" place by doing some short (30-60 min) crate time-outs during the day, with a safe treat or frozen kong.

BUT I'd also check for a UTI or GI parasites with your vet, or at least get their advice... because IMO having all 3 "bodily fluid" symptoms (generating urine, poo, and throwing up) overnight when she should "normally" be sleepy seems like there might be something else going on...??

BEST OF LUCK!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well last night we put Payton in our son's room without her kennel, just her big "bed" cushion. Since he's on break from school he stays up later so he can take her out one more time before bed. She did great. She started barking at 3 AM, and of course my son didn't hear her, so I took her out and she peed. Came back in and she went back to bed in his room and didn't make a noise until 6 AM, which is her normal time to be fed! I'm sure she slept on his bed with him at least part of the night, but that's OK with us. He had asked when we first got Payton if she could sleep on his bed and we said we would have to wait till she was potty trained. Well she's potty trained and apparently much happier then being in her kennel all night. It may not be the "right" thing to do but if it allows the family to sleep then it's what's best for us.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Payton won't be the first or the last dog who gets to sleep in a bed, thats for sure! My brother's 2 dogs and 4 cats sleep with him and his wife - she says if they get any more animals, she is getting her own bed! So happy to hear you got some sleep - everything seems so much harder when you are that tired!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
And that is why Sully has always slept with me after the first night. She may be a diva during the day, but come bedtime she wants her mommy.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
There is no one way to train a puppy. If that works for you and Payton then that is what you should do. And I bet your son and her will be even better pals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts