Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice on my 11 yr old Golden and CCL repair.
About 4 yrs ago my dog tore her right CCL and we did the TPLO surgery, it went ok, other than having to have the disc removed 9 weeks later.
Now, 4 yrs later she has tore her left CCL. I was told without surgery she can never run again or walk more than 0.5 miles and should not be off leash. This is hard because even at 11 she wants to run, chase small game, and be off leash.
I am struggling with some questions:
1) Which is better, TTA or TPLO given her age of 11 and weight of 72 lbs, yet still active?
2) Is conservative management better than surgery?
3) Does anyone here have experience/ advice to lend on a senior dog with surgical CCL repair?
4) Does anyone here have a Golden who underwent CCL repair to both legs, and what were the results?

Thank you for any advice provided.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Our last Golden girl had TPLO surgery at 9 years old on one leg and tore the other CCL at age 11. We opted for tightrope and it was a much easier recovery for her. She remained active, playing around with her younger Boxer buddy for 3 more years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our last Golden girl had TPLO surgery at 9 years old on one leg and tore the other CCL at age 11. We opted for tightrope and it was a much easier recovery for her. She remained active, playing around with her younger Boxer buddy for 3 more years.
THANK YOU!!! I have been tirelessly researching the 3 different surgeries for days and honestly I cannot find any conclusive success rate that one is better than the other. Only thing I've found is long term TPLO is better if the dog is young; but nothing saying in a large old dog one is more preferred other than expense of surgery.

I want my old to pup to run, play, & be off leash in her last years. The mind & heart is still young; its only her knees failing, which leads me to believe she has more time left. She has not been thrilled about 2 weeks of lazy house dog & on leash only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts