Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why is your dog not on a leash? He clearly is being allowed to decide when he comes and when he doesn't... this is a training issue. Never ask for a behavior like come if you don't have them on a leash to reel him in. I wouldn't consider this as possessed I would consider this as he's found a fun activity and you are allowing him to do it.
Just from the other dogs owners perspective.... I don't care if my girl is spayed or not, keep you dog under control and away from other dogs! At some point your pup is going to hump the wrong bitch and get his butt whooped. Be a responsible owner and control your dog. Teach your dog how to behave around other dogs. This is part of ownership... keep in mind that people like me will happily take a golf club to reckless dogs coming at my girls.
Puddles what is your problem? She clearly came here asking for help. Not to be judge and to be talked the way you are talking to her. Where's your compassion? I take it you were born knowing how to train an dog. Must be nice. I suggest you to think before you reply and to remember that people needs to be treated not only with respect, but also give them some grace. Takes a lot to come to this forum and ask for advice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,
My dog is 11 months old and unneutered. We have been working really hard on his recall which has been going great though he is not totally leash free yet (I leave a trailing long line and keep him at that distance just in case). The one area we have issues with is occasionally he will surprise us and bolt over to a female that can be far away and start humping her. People always tell me their bitch is spayed but this seems to make no difference to my dogs desire. He is completely unable to be distracted and I just have to go over, pick up his leash and take him away. Since using the long line this has been an extremely rare occurrence as I am usually able to anticipate and call him over before he bolts but in a split second he can be away and I am completely unable to get his attention as he is so focused on having his way. Is it unreasonable to expect to solve this through training? I totally understand him being driven by his hormones at this age! He will be neutered for medical reasons in the next few months anyway but I wondered if anyone had a similar experience and whether neutering helped to calm the behaviour. It does not occur with males, he is much less interested and will happily call away. With females he is possessed...

Thank you for any advice.
BruDog: Being a first time dog owner is hard. We don't always know what to do, or how to handle every situation. In my personal experience what I can see here is the behavior of a typical teenager dog. It really takes some practice, and I mean every day, over and over, in order to get your dog to really listen to you, specially when there is so many distractions. When you are at a public place having him close to you on a short leash is the best thing that you can do. This will give you access to recall and correct every bad behavior. I am not a fan of dog parks, neither having my dogs without a leash in a place where they will interact with other dogs, I just feel like is a recipe for disaster. About humping the females, is not a hormonal issue, is more dominance but you have to correct it every time that he is doing it. I have 3 intact dogs, to be honest they don't care for females when they are on walks. I have work very hard on correcting the humping behavior, sometimes you'll see it happening between them and I immediately correct and redirect, more so now because I have a puppy and the puppy is the one that does it most of the times, again is a training and correction issue, at least in my opinion. About recall, and your dogs being able to listen the first time. It really is hard to get an 11 month old to do this without saying it more than once. I never trust my dogs 100% until they were 15-18 months and we had done several obedience classes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
BruDog: Being a first time dog owner is hard. We don't always know what to do, or how to handle every situation. In my personal experience what I can see here is the behavior of a typical teenager dog. It really takes some practice, and I mean every day, over and over, in order to get your dog to really listen to you, specially when there is so many distractions. When you are at a public place having him close to you on a short leash is the best thing that you can do. This will give you access to recall and correct every bad behavior. I am not a fan of dog parks, neither having my dogs without a leash in a place where they will interact with other dogs, I just feel like is a recipe for disaster. About humping the females, is not a hormonal issue, is more dominance but you have to correct it every time that he is doing it. I have 3 intact dogs, to be honest they don't care for females when they are on walks. I have work very hard on correcting the humping behavior, sometimes you'll see it happening between them and I immediately correct and redirect, more so now because I have a puppy and the puppy is the one that does it most of the times, again is a training and correction issue, at least in my opinion. About recall, and your dogs being able to listen the first time. It really is hard to get an 11 month old to do this without saying it more than once. I never trust my dogs 100% until they were 15-18 months and we had done several obedience classes.
Thanks iwuollet,
I am seeing lots of behaviours become more reliable as he matures and I suppose my original question was about what I can expect from him at this age (adolescent behaviour Vs training) so thank you for understanding that and providing such a thoughtful response. If I think back to 6/7 months old our communication is already so much better but it's easy to forget that and focus on what's still needed.

Quite a few recommendations here to keep him close and on a normal leash. I will go back to this step. It has gone well the last two days. However, some advice on exercise needs would be welcome.

Exercise wise we walk twice a day for an hour each time (one walk is often a bit longer). He will only run flat out in the garden chasing rabbits or a toy on the end of a lunge whip. Not interested in balls at all and will only fetch a thrown soft toy a few times before being bored. It has to really look like a bird or furry critter! He much prefers if I throw it just above his head and he jumps to catch it. He also loves games with his daily kibble rations which we are learning from Absolute Dogs online training. He loves tug too, he will bring me his tug toys to play with but I don't know how much this exercises him physically?

As I said before this is my first puppy so I am questioning a lot of the things I'm doing!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks iwuollet,
I am seeing lots of behaviours become more reliable as he matures and I suppose my original question was about what I can expect from him at this age (adolescent behaviour Vs training) so thank you for understanding that and providing such a thoughtful response. If I think back to 6/7 months old our communication is already so much better but it's easy to forget that and focus on what's still needed.

Quite a few recommendations here to keep him close and on a normal leash. I will go back to this step. It has gone well the last two days. However, some advice on exercise needs would be welcome.

Exercise wise we walk twice a day for an hour each time (one walk is often a bit longer). He will only run flat out in the garden chasing rabbits or a toy on the end of a lunge whip. Not interested in balls at all and will only fetch a thrown soft toy a few times before being bored. It has to really look like a bird or furry critter! He much prefers if I throw it just above his head and he jumps to catch it. He also loves games with his daily kibble rations which we are learning from Absolute Dogs online training. He loves tug too, he will bring me his tug toys to play with but I don't know how much this exercises him physically?

As I said before this is my first puppy so I am questioning a lot of the things I'm doing!
Some dogs really enjoy catching a toy when thrown up in the air and will be their favorite game before a retrieving. I have a 4 year old who loves to catch the frisbee, he will do it for hours. My 6 month old puppy is really not in to that, he’s in to playing with his toys and finding this outside and is now showing interest on retrieving the ball, but I’m still not sure what his favorite activity will be. My oldest is good at pretty much anything but he’s much older. I would say 11 months is relatively young and they’re still making up their mind about what is more enjoyable, and any game is fun but not for too long. Don’t stress about exercising much, one long walk is enough (I do that, that’s my preference) and play outside, either chasing a rabbit, birds, what ever keeps them happy, but that’s when I try to incorporate training and obedience, which in my opinion tired their brain and works really well because is just as good as a walk. To be honest Goldens are very adaptable, they just want to please you. You make what you want from them. If you get them use to something, for instance 2 walks that’s what they will expect all the time. Or if you entertain them all the time, that’s what they will expect too. What ever you do, as long as you incorporate some type of training and obedience will be fun and beneficial for your pup, and it doesn’t have to be for too long or stressful. Just remember, once they mature 2-2 1/2 years you realized how incredible they are and how much they have learned 😀

21 - 24 of 24 Posts