Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Ari has been having seizures for a couple years now. At first, they started out being twice a year, but as the years have gone by, they keep getting worse, the last time was so bad it was over 15 mins and had to be sedated to get out of it. Usually, after he has one, he has another followed by 12 hours or so. He is currently on Phenobarbital with a combination of other meds. Does anyone know how expensive veterinary neurologists are? And are these signs of brain cancer? Outside of the seizures he's perfectly fine, except the day he has them he seems a little off and right after he has them he's still a little out of it. Has anyone had something similar? Ari is going to be 11 in April. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I think the initial consult would be affordable. I am not a vet, nor do I have experience with seizures in dogs, but I would assume that if it were brain cancer- he'd be experiencing other symptons and likely not just seizures for over 2 years.

I would ask your vet for a suggestion on a good neurologist and then go from there. Good luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
In my area (Ontario) a consultation with neurologist is around 175$ which includes a neurological assessment. The brain MRI is around 2200$ + taxes.
It has been a year since my Gatsby had his first seizure at the age of 4. The first seizure was severe, lasting probably more than 30 minutes, we thought his stomach has turned and we were losing him.
I think I found a “cure” to Gatsby seizures, but I don’t want to celebrate the fact just yet. I need more time to pass seizures free. I think Gatsby is severely allergic to lactose. So far, after removing yogurt, kefir and cheese we are seizures free. I connected the increased consumption of yogurt and kefir with the onset of cluster seizures. There was one day when he had 3 seizures in a row and then while waiting for neurologist appointment, I figured the connection. The neurologist didn’t think a cow milk could cause seizures as skin issues, diarrhea, constipation would manifest first, but Gatsby doesn’t have any skin issues. However, the internet is full of literature connecting seizures in both humans and dogs with a cow milk.
A brain tumor can cause seizures especially with older dogs, but food allergies/vaccinations/preventives/pesticides/cleaning products/noises are far more common factors causing seizures.
Do you keep a diary of Ari seizures? A new diet, new cleaning product you recently introduced? Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to look into the allergy aspect to relating to his seizures. He eats very diet friendly food (the wet food is simple) and I believe his dry food is the same brand. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry for your Ari's seizures. We know the drill

Our Annie was 11-12 when she had her first seizure, she's a big girl. so seeing her on the ground going thru the gyrations is pretty disheartening to say the least. We really didn't do anything until her second one. They starting coming w greater frequency and duration. It was really tough on my younger daughter watching them. It would take her more and more time to come out of them. The last one was brutal and it took the loss of her back legs and her bodily functions were not stopping, just on or around her in the house. I did not care about the house, but her dignity really impacted us. The vet said it was more than likely a brain tumor. At her age, there was not much you could do and we were not going to put her thru chemo. So when we had to put a towel under her belly to lift her up to takeher to go to the bathroom, we all made the call. Now, it's 2 + yrs later, and we still wished we could have maybe done something, but that was more for us than her. Our 13 yr old Cassie, really pined and missed her badly, just like we all did. It's really tough, and amazing, that you can love a dog so much that you still miss them years and years later. Golden's are one of God's greatest gifts to man...Hope Ari fairs well - good luck, tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts