Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 11 year old male golden has been resting allot today and salivating more then usual and has had a droopy eye. Just seemed extra tired as he is getting old but I just tried to give him his meds (he's been on pain killers for hip displacia for 10 years and also has arthritis) and he yelped in pain and won't let me open his mouth. We crushed it up and put it in his food and he slowly ate. What's going on with him????

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
There is an auto immune disorder called Masticatory Muscle Myositis that has some of these symptoms. I strongly suggest you take him to the vet as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you, I plan on taking him the second they open but of coarse that feels like forever away:( Just trying to wrap my brain around what could be in store for us.. I read more about Masticatory Muscle Myositis and I don't think it's that- they treat that disease with Corticosteroids which he is currently already on for nthe arthritis, so unless he has an extreme case of it (God I hope not) where he's not getting enough you wouldn't think it would be that since their not helping. Plus it was super fast onset.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,741 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your boy, I hope you're able to get some answers today when the Vet sees him and he'll be feeling better soon.

·
Registered
18,264 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear that your boy isn't feeling well, I hope the vet can give you some answers. Please let us know how you get on.

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
Mmm is treated with very high doses of pred, so his arthritis dose may not help. There is another disorder where they have ahard time closingntheir mouth and drool, but I can't recall the name. Both are very uncommon and vets don't see them very often. Make sure to bring these up with the vet.

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
Found it, dropped jaw:

Trigeminal Neuritis in Dogs

Sudden onset of the inability to close the jaw owing to dysfunction of the mandibular (jaw) branch of the trigeminal nerves (one of the cranial nerves) is a treatable medical condition called trigeminal nerve neuritis (inflammation). This is often due to nerve injury, which ranges from neuritis, demyelination (loss of the fatty sheath around the nerve which helps conduct the signal), and sometimes to fiber degeneration of all the branches of the trigeminal nerve and the nerve cell body.

Although it is occasionally seen in cats, trigeminal neuritis is mainly an illness of dogs.

Symptoms and Types

Acute onset of a dropped jaw
Inability to close the mouth
Drooling
Difficulty in getting food in the mouth
Messy eating
No loss of feeling in the jaw or face
Swallowing remains normal

Causes

The underlying cause of trigeminal nerve neuritis is currently uknown, though it is possibly immune-mediated.

Diagnosis

Your veterinarian will perform a thorough physical exam on your dog, taking into account the background medical history, onset of symptoms and possible incidents that might have led to this condition. Your veterinarian will order a blood chemical profile, a complete blood count, a urinalysis and an electrolyte panel to rule out other diseases. Rabies is one of the more important disease conditions that will need to be ruled out. Diagnostic imaging like X-ray will be used to examine the skull and jaw bones, and bone marrow core biopsies and muscle biopsies can be used to rule out other possibilities for disease.

I hope it is not, and that he recovers quickly and easily!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone SO much for all the input and help:) Love that there is a forum out there where you can ask these type of questions and get people's help:) Harley did see the vet and had a bad abscess in the back of his jaw which is apparently close enough to his tear ducts that it caused a blockage in the tear duct right about his jaw. He was in allot of pain but underwent a procedure where they drained the abscess and tear duct and treated him with antibiotics and iv fluids and he is home now resting:) She said he should be significantly better tomorrow and 100% again in about a week with continuing the antibiotics and eye drops they gave us. I feel bad for the poor guy but am so thankful it was nothing too serious!!

·
Registered
18,264 Posts
Really glad to hear that your boy is on the mend!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Harley

Thank you everyone SO much for all the input and help:) Love that there is a forum out there where you can ask these type of questions and get people's help:) Harley did see the vet and had a bad abscess in the back of his jaw which is apparently close enough to his tear ducts that it caused a blockage in the tear duct right about his jaw. He was in allot of pain but underwent a procedure where they drained the abscess and tear duct and treated him with antibiotics and iv fluids and he is home now resting:) She said he should be significantly better tomorrow and 100% again in about a week with continuing the antibiotics and eye drops they gave us. I feel bad for the poor guy but am so thankful it was nothing too serious!!
Thank God, Harley, is alright!! Did they have to pull the tooth?
My Samoyed, Tonka, just had an abcess, which we didn't know about until he went to have his teeth cleaned and they pulled the tooth and put him on antibiotics, too. Tonka is 5 years old.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,741 Posts
HarleyZion, great to hear it wasn't anything more serious.
Wishing your boy a speedy recovery, hope he's feeling better soon.

We'd love to see pictures of your boy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts