Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

11 week old puppy weeing ALOT

320 3
Hi

please could I have some advice. Our golden girl is 11weeks today and soon after her being home I took her to the vets for weeing excessively.
She had a UTI and a course of antibiotics for 10 days which cleared the UTI.
She has been off antibiotics for 1 week now and due to have her first vaccination tomorrow morning as she missed the cut off for her second.
I took a sample today and she has trace of protein and her PH is slightly elevated but everything else is ok.
My question is she is still going to toilet often and I do not know what is normal and what’s not as she has had a UTI since coming home.
She wees every half hour when active and sometimes 3 times in a row. When asleep she can go 3 hours ish without going this is the same throughout the night.
She is weeing about 20x a day maybe more.
Her wee has been sent off to the lab to be tested but I’m just curious if anyone has experienced this?
Is weeing 2-3 times in a row and small amounts coming out normal?

thank you
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
My puppy is now 15 weeks old. Even now we take him out every 20 minutes to half hour. Usually he does urinate when we bring him out, but sometimes it takes a few minutes and there isn’t much (I think he’s peeing just because he knows we expect it, as we put him in a pen outside any time we expect him to pee). Other times, he pees for what seems like a forever. And yes, there are times he pees twice within 15 minutes or so, especially in the morning. He rarely sleeps more than 2 hours at a time in his crate during the day without needing to go out. By 10 weeks or so he was sleeping through the night (from about 9:30 to about 5:30). So... A lot of what you’re describing seems to be within a realm of “normal” based on my experience. HOWEVER, the peeing small amounts at a time in a brief period sounds like a UTI to me, especially if she has a history of UTIs. She may need another round of antibiotics, or they may need to do a cystocentesis (remove a sterile sample of urine directly from the bladder with a needle) to be sure of what bacteria you are dealing with so they know they are using the appropriate antibiotic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.
We are just so worried, she is her normal happy playful self and her appetite is good so I don’t think she is uncomfortable.
We will know more when we have her urine analysis back next week.
She does sound a lot like your boy I don’t know if I’m paranoid or if she has gotten worse the last couple of days since coming off the antibiotics. The going twice in a row only started back this morning so I monitor this and see if gets any worse.
🤞🏼 We get some good news and she is okay.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
You can always get a urine test to find out for sure. The vet can do a cyctocentesis. This is a needle that is injected into your puppies bladder from the abdomen. It doesn't require a catch of urine being expelled. Personally I prefer this test with my dogs/puppies.
Bladder infections are notoriously difficult to stop with puppies. It's very possible that your pup needs another round of antibiotics. Or the antibiotic your vet used didn't work for that particular infection. So get a cystocentesis and find out exactly what's going on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts