Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 11 week old puppy is currently in her crate panting. Not sure why. Normal day. She has been acting fine. Did go for a long walk over an hour ago. Is it still from the walk? It isn't hot in here.

TIA

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
She could be thirsty or stressed out being in the crate. Also, remember just because it's not hot to you doesn't mean your doggie isn't hot - they have fur :)

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Max pants sometimes. He likes to pant in bed before he goes to sleep. He is like that now, I don't remember if he was like that when he was littler. I hope your puppy is not worrying you anymore!

·
16,000 Posts
Puppy's "thermostat" isn't quite mature yet, so regulating temperature is still being worked on. Depending on the length of the walk, he very well could be tired (be careful not to overdo exercise with a puppy). Additionally, dogs will pant (as many behaviorists have concluded) when they are happy, confident, and comfortable.
If all else is normal (eating, eliminating, sleeping, etc) I'd not fret. Mention it to your vet at next visit, but don't panic over it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Finn has panted at some point every day since we brought him home just after Christmas. I attributed it to him being in a warmer home (around 72 degrees) from his cooler garage he was raised in (I'm guessing around 60 degrees). It seems to have lessened over time, but he constantly wants to lay on the cold tile floor in the kitchen or front doorway, anywhere else and he just lays and pants. Even in single degree weather (as we have been experience here in PA lately) he is perfectly content to go out and lay in the snow for as long as he could, I usually chase him in for fear of him getting too cold and not even realizing it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My puppy has had a panting session almost every day from since we had her at 8 weeks old until now. (9 months). It seems to be that she just is 'stressed' for some reason or other (our roommates dog isn't home, we didn't go for our walk at the right time, etc.) She used to do it much more frequently when she was younger, and actually would do it for an hour or more straight in the evenings while we were trying to relax and just watch t.v., but still does it on occasion now for various reasons, but usually seems 'anxiety' related.
If your puppy has some other symptom besides the panting that doesn't seem right then I would get it checked out for sure, but from my experience my dog just had higher anxiety when she was younger. I'm not telling you not to see a vet at all, by all means talk to a vet or see one if you think something's not right....just thought I'd share my 'panting experience' though...LoL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts