Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LouieTheGolden
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place. (New guy here!) My golden, Louie (11 months old, no health issues, only dog in the house), has had diarrhea the last few days. It seemed like it was going away (his stool solidified for one bathroom trip) and then it came back again. For the first day, he was very lethargic, but he perked up and, as I said, it seemed like it had gone away. However, it is back again. He is acting normal, and no vomiting or anything else. His energy is back to normal, but he still has diarrhea.

I cannot think of anything he has eaten. He may have had a tiny piece of rib meat (maybe there was a tiny bone in it) the other day. He went sniffing through the trash for 2 seconds while I had my back turned. I turned around and he had a piece of the rib in his mouth, but I grabbed it out in time. Still, he may have got a little piece. I do not think anything is blocked internally, because I have seen the food I have given him come out the other end.

I'm not sure if the possible bone ingestion is the cause or its giardia or something else. I have read many of the forums on here about diarrhea and favorite solutions, including rice mixed with chicken, pesto bismol, and plain pumpkin.

Can someone please tell me what/how I should try a home remedy for his diarrhea? Louie is approximately 50-55 pounds, 11 months old.

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would get Louie to the Vet for a check up as soon as possible.

In the meantime, you can boil chicken or hamburger, cook some rice and give to him to help settle his stomach but you should get him to the Vet as soon as you can to rule out any medical problem.

Hope he's doing better soon.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Also, please make sure you feed a bland diet for AT LEAST 5-7 days once you start seeing solid stools before you try to start adding his kibble back in. Otherwise, his GI tract will not have recovered enough, and you may send him right into another bout of diarrhea.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
When my dog has a bout of clear out-of-the-blue diarrhea, I stop her kibble and usually skip a meal to let things calm down. If she is hungry at her normal next meal time, I give just plain white rice (if she is not hungry, or there has been vomiting, that is another level of symptom to me that requires a vet visit). If the diarrhea stops (ie. there is no longer diarrhea and perhaps nothing passed at all), I will give another meal of rice, this time mixed with maybe 1/8 or 1/4 cup of kibble mixed in. If all continues to be well, and she has maybe a small, solid poop, I'll increase the amount of kibble mixed in with the rice. Once she is having normal poops back on normal schedule, she is back on full kibble.

·
LouieTheGolden
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Sweet Girl. I am trying the rice tonight as he did a bout this morning. I am also going to bring him in to the vet tomorrow when they open back up. This diarrhea is certainly straight "out-of-the-blue". If there was something I could pinpoint it to, I wouldn't be as nervous about it.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Thank you Sweet Girl. I am trying the rice tonight as he did a bout this morning. I am also going to bring him in to the vet tomorrow when they open back up. This diarrhea is certainly straight "out-of-the-blue". If there was something I could pinpoint it to, I wouldn't be as nervous about it.
If he is otherwise healthy, it may not be anything. My dog just last week as an "out of the blue" diarrhea incident. She was entirely fine, but she actually had to go so badly that she went in the house after I went to work. She had had a normal poop in the morning out with me, I went to work, and my dog walker texted me when she picked her up to let me know. She also had diarrhea again when out that afternoon with my walker. There was absolutely nothing to pin it to. Nothing different in her diet, she hadn't eaten anything extra. So my walker didn't feed her (she usually feeds her after their outing), and I did the rice schedule I mentioned above. She was entirely fine throughout, no vomiting, good energy. Sometimes, she just gets diarrhea. For me, like I said, if there is no vomiting, and her energy remains fine, and things calm down on rice, I don't worry.

·
LouieTheGolden
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case anyone else goes through this.... I went to the vet today, and had Louie examined. The vet determined that Louie had colitis. This is basically an upset of the small intestines caused by stress (probably from all the time spent in the car and being around other dogs over Christmas and New Years). Not really that big of a deal, according to the vet. He prescribed Louie Metronidazole, which is an antibiotic, but one of its side effects is "smoothing out" the wall of the small intestine and giving relief to the diarrhea pain. He did not test positive for any bacteria, but the vet said the medicine would still help with the colon/intestine wall. He also suggested continuing on rice and baked chicken for two days and gradually adding his food back in.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Glad it was nothing terrible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts