Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She slept all night until 3 months ago and now she’s up at 2am! She is exercised for at least 2 hours a day off lead chasing her ball and is eating ok. She has not yet had her first season. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
She slept all night until 3 months ago and now she’s up at 2am! She is exercised for at least 2 hours a day off lead chasing her ball and is eating ok. She has not yet had her first season. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

Thanks
Welcome to GRF! I’d guess that she’s just pushing boundaries. When you say she wakes up, what is she doing? Barking? And what do you do in response?

·
Kristy
10,807 Posts
It might be helpful if you told us more about what life is like for her at your house - general schedule, how much time are you gone for work and chores, what you all are doing when you wake up at 2am etc. We need a little more background info. With what you've told me, all I can think is that you're busy and she is sleeping way more than you realize during the day. And is she honestly getting 2 hours off leash 7 days a week? If that's true, my hat is off to you, that is very hard to do for the average working adult with regular responsibilities. How do you build that into your routine?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel for you! When my golden was playing me for a fool with 2 am wake-ups and unnecessary trips outside, it was because she was too hot. I know it’s been super hot in the UK this summer (it looks like that’s where you are), so I wonder if that could be part of it. Whatever it is, it just takes a couple nights of getting up at 2 am for that to become their new “routine”. In my case, once I realized what was going on, I just put an extra fan on and ignored her. (I also started turning the thermostat down at night, but if you are in the UK, you might not have air conditioning.) Now, as long as I keep her nice and cool, she sleeps through the night peacefully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My husband and I are both retired and very active. We live in a very rural area and are surrounded by fields. We walk her in in the fields twice a day for at least an hour each time generally throwing her ball which she loves. There is also a river where she loves to swim. She is a very well exercised dog and we are mindful that she is only 11 months old so we make sure she is not running on hard ground. We also have an elderly cocker spaniel and they are inseparable. We are experienced golden owners, our last dog Ben lived till he was 17.
When she gets us up at 2am she barks and jumps on the bed. She then gets let out and fed whereupon she goes back to sleep but we plus our spaniel are wide awake!! We live neat the border to Scotland so warm weather is not the cause😂
We’ve tried not to feed her but she barks till we do. Her last meal of the day is at 6pm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds idyllic apart from the 2 am issue. Now that she’s learned she gets what she wants from that behavior, I think you have your work cut out for you training her out of it. I’ll leave advice on how to do that to the experts here. My only suggestion would be to reserve a very small amount of her dinner (like a handful of kibble) and give it to her close to bedtime—might keep her from getting hungry in the night. I give my girl a sizable treat when she gets in her crate at night because she would throw up bile (yuck 😝) in the wee hours if she got too empty before morning.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Sounds like she got a little spoiled by getting fed. I had a small adult dog that would ask to go out in the middle of the night. She didn't really need to she just liked to. I finally quit letting her out and it stopped. If my dog was regularly waking me up in the middle of the night and there were no issues like diarrhea I would ignore him and if that didn't work something bad would happen like getting put in the crate (which he hasn't used since he was a puppy) or shut out of the bedroom. I agree with giving a bedtime kibble snack.

Reactions: Sankari and zinnia
1 - 8 of 8 Posts