Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey is almost 11 years old - and has always been extremely well behaved. He would always act so ashamed after the VERY FEW times he would have an accident throughout his life. However, the last month he has been peeing and pooping in the house in the middle of the night. He goes out before bed, and just stands by the door. I put him out straight away in the morning - and still, he just stands there (since he did his business on the floor already!). He has never had a problem before. He doesn't even act ashamed anymore - he doesn't seem to care. We even moved his bed to the basement to see if a new spot at night would stop the behavior - but he pooped twice and peed during the night.

Background info: The last 6 months or so he has really started to not care about doing things he knows he shouldn't. Ex- He steals food off the table, goes through the trash can, and eats all the cats food. He never did all this before. He has had major skin allergies his whole life - along with itchy eyes, bad hip, smelly ears, etc. Basically, every common problem for a golden...he has them all. He has been sleeping a lot more these days, but when he does get up, he is still happy, bouncy, loving golden.

Is he just getting older and deciding that "I'm old, I'll do what I want" or could there be another reason? Any suggesting for stopping the nightly accidents? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Full veternarian exam would be the first thing "I" would do......

Could he be whining to go out and you don't hear him; so now its become a habit?

I hope you find answers soon, I have a 10 year old too who would be devastated if she went inside the house and I too would be very concerned if her behavior changed. I look forward to more knowledgeable folks offering their suggestions too.

Do you have a picture of him?

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the culprit! I suppose he could be whining - but usually he would come into my room and stick his nose in my face...and THEN whine. haha. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Now I see where you get your name from! Has he had a check up lately? That is again where I would start.

Also maybe get up in the middle of the night and take him out although I know it is cold! My dogs get so tired from play that in the evening they are zonked out, then wake me at 2 a.m. to go out! I finally had to put a leash on Nellie and take her out before bed (man, if looks could kill) but that cured it! They get so habituated...

But seriously; he may have an infection or something easily cured especially if this is new behavior for him. Please let us know. And thanks for the picture~!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I agree, a vet visit should be your very first stop to rule out any sort of UTI or thyroid issue. I mention thyroid because your description sounds like he's had a major behavioral/attitude change and this is a symptom of hypothyroidism.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts