Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my beautiful boy Henry on Friday. He is already walking on a leash, sitting and potty training is going well. Very smart pup.

My main issue is whining/yelping when I put him in crate at night/baby gate in kitchen during the day. I understand he is just a baby and just scared but its insanely loud. I live in a condo so I do have neighbors in close proximity. I have warned them of the new pup but dont want to wear out their patience. The sooner I can get this under control.
. I have been sleeping on the floor next to the crate. I hope this will be temporary until he gets used to it..am I wrong?

For the kitchen I draped a blanket over the gate which seemed to help but he still whines though not as long. I am home all week/wkd but next week is go time (I work full time) I do have a friend that will be over daily to let Henry out at 10, I will do a late lunch at 1ish and will be home by 4:30. That way he gets potty breaks and some walks throughout the day. We are "practice running" this schedule while Im home this week in a hope that he'll be used to it by next week.

Sorry for the long post but this is my first puppy and I dont want to scar him for life. Any advice, tips or tricks are greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
When we got our pup my wife slept in the same room as the crate for about a month. A blanket over the crate helped a lot too. When she went back to work she came home at lunch to take amber for a short walk and to make sure all was well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Im not doing any harm by sleeping by the crate and not letting him "cry it out"?? Thats a relief.

Did your pup whine/yelp during the day?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need help now!!!

Seriously need IMMEDIATE HELP on how to get 10 week old puppy to stop whining/barking when Im gone at work or else I am at serious risk of eviction/having to re home him. Please help!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hang in there.

My boy is about 4 months old now and we're just finally having some crate breakthroughs.

I have two crates for him. One downstairs and one upstairs next to my bed. He got comfortable in the bedroom pretty quickly, but only if I was in there too and only if he was tired and wanted to sleep. Didn't like the one downstairs much and he'd bark in there right away non-stop even if he could see me.

Overnight was the only "easy" crate time we had for the first few weeks.

Gradually he started getting more and more comfortable in each one. Now he actually wants to go up to the one in the bedroom during the day a few times for naps and he even hangs out in there quietly without any fuss if I'm in there with him.

Ditto downstairs. if I put him in, he just lays down and lets me lower the door - doesn't mind at all.

We were/are still having some issues with the barking/yelping when I'd leave the room and he can't see me but he's starting to get used to that too.

If I have to re-enter the room while he's barking, I don't look at him or acknowledge him and he usually gets quiet within 10 seconds and relaxes. The more I walk in and out, the more used to it he's getting.

Last Friday I had to leave him alone for about an hour and figured he'd get pretty bent out of shape as soon as he saw me leave the room. Much to my surprise he was totally silent! We're getting really close. Just be consistent and you'll see that Henry starts adjusting. Things change quickly. Sometimes these breakthrough's come when you least expect them.

In the bedroom, his crate is next to my bed but his crate is covered on the top, sides, and back with a sheet so it's like a nice little den. He can see out the front - it's not covered - and the TV is in front of him which I usually leave on (seems to make him feel like he has company)

Here's how I handle the barking/yelping...

I ask myself if I think Ike has to go to the bathroom, needs food, or has any other reason for needing to come out.

If I think he may need to go potty or know it's just about time to eat, I will let him out.

If I know he has just been outside and has eaten recently and doesn't actually need anything, I know he is just testing me. I show my presence a bit by just going about my business but I don't keep acknowledging him or looking at him - that's a mistake because then he starts to think the show he's putting on is getting my attention and maybe if he kicks it up a notch, he'll get me to let him out. Nuh uh.

He almost ALWAYS quiets right down on his own in these situations and it rarely takes any more than 2-3 minutes.

I tend to think when we make a big deal out of them being in their crate or in a separate room, they start to treat it that way. I've become so nonchalant about it with mine that he doesn't seem to think it's really much of anything now. It's just a part of the day and where he sleeps at night now.

Just make the crate and the kitchen places he likes to be. Leave toys he likes, drop treats in there when he's not paying attention, etc. Make him excited and thinking there might be a surprise in there each time he goes. You'll get there - just stick with it and try to be patient. Once it starts to change, it happens fast - you'll be surprised how quickly they adapt and turn a corner. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,646 Posts
You're in a tough situation, do you have anyone such as a neighbor, family member, or friend that can watch your little guy while you're at work?

He obviously is unhappy about being left alone while you're at work.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Sorry to say, there is no magic bullet that will make it stop immediately. If no one is home, and he is still getting used to everything, then unfortunately pups do whine and bark when left alone. Is he left alone all day? Is someone coming in to take him out to potty, or spend some time with him during the day? Is he in a crate which he is not used to yet? Or in a kitchen area with toys, etc? Being only 10 wks old, he is still young and will get lonely. Perhaps turn on the TV so he hears sound? Once he is older and has had shots, then doggie-day care could help. I do feel for you, but seriously this is not something which will be solved overnight, which is what it sounds like needs to happen from your landlord. Best of luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. He's in the kitchen during the day. Bed, rotating toys.

I am home this week but doing practice run throughs of what his actual day will look like. 7:00-10:00am - kitchen. Friend coming at 10:00 for potty/walk. Kitchen 10:20-1:00 i come home for lunch potty/walk. Kitchen til at least 4:30. Then he can pretty much be free til bedtime (10pm) then he goes to crate.

I timed him today. He woke up and whined for an hour straight. This seems excessive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
He's just a puppy - he isn't really used to anything yet. You're going to have to patient and give it time. It isn't going to change overnight - there's nothing that you're going to be able to do to get immediate results. You have to work with him. It's part of the deal. You're all he knows right now and when you leave, he's not sure when you're coming back or if you are at all. He's confused.

You just have to come up with a routine that will work best and stick with it and adjust as you go.

Like I said before - if he's whining in a way that seems excessive, he may be hungry or need to go outside. If neither are the case, he'll be okay. He just needs to get more comfortable and figure out how things go a bit.

Dogs are going to bark - especially puppies. I'm sorry that you're having a tough time with this right now but you just have to keep working with Henry until he continues to become more accustomed to his home and his routine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went and spoke to the neighbors on each side. They both seem understanding but everyone is until you're into your 2nd hour of a puppy screaming...

·
Registered
922 Posts
This sounds like a stressful situation for you and your puppy. Golden retrievers are really not meant to be solitary creatures. The traits that make lots of people love the breed are the same traits that are making your little guy cry like a baby all day. Namely, they love people and usually other dogs and want to play and love and be loved pretty much 24/7.

Do you have a family member or friend that could watch him during the day? Maybe mom and/or grandma could use a new friend during the day? Just make sure you help them puppy proof their house before drop off every day!

If not, and you can afford it, please consider using either an experienced dog sitter (you can find one on sites like Rover) or a training school (you might be able to find one that takes puppies under 4 months of age) or a daycare that segregates by size - it would be cheaper than a training school but I don't know if there are any in your area that would take a puppy under 4 months old - none in my area do so we were stuck w/ Rover and training school for the first 2 months.

As far as crying at bedtime, can you put the crate in your bedroom right next to your bed? Try that for a night or two and see if he settles down quicker.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are anti bark boxes that seemed to work. I got one on chewy in the shape of a house. Two things worked the best for Jarvis A dog relaxation channel on Amazon prime. Plays calming music on a loop for 8 hours and removing the divider from his crate. He liked to stretch out and the divider prevented that. He would actually wine when he tried stretched out and his foot hit the divider.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hang in there! It does take time for them to adjust to their schedule and you have great suggrestions above. When you go out do you know he continues to bark? Sometimes once they know noone is home (and all their needs are met) they can settle. Do you leave a filled/frozen kong or similar when you go out to keep him busy? look up crate games on youtube which help make the crate a great place to be.

The only other thing i would say is try not to get too stressed when he starts barking, stay calm. Your neighbours seem understanding which is great and if his barking is making you worried or react to him he will pick up on it and it can make it worse.
Good luck!

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
It's not necessarily excessive - it's just him. My pup was a crate-hater, too. She definitely cried and howled for a good hour some nights in the beginning. It went down to 20, then 10, and gradually ceased.

First, get a crate in your bedroom and put it beside your bed, so you can put your hand through the bars and let him be able to smell and touch you. When he cries, just gently say, go to sleep.

For when you leave, he *may* not be barking and whining long. I got a puppy cam, and watched and listened, and the longest Shala ever cried was about 20 minutes. Usually she only cried about 10 minutes. There was less use in crying when there was no one there.

Make sure your pup is getting lots of exercise before you go to work, and throughout the day, so that he is more likely to be tired at night. He should get a chance to run around and burn off his energy, which will increase the chance of him sleeping when you leave.

I never crated when I was home, simply because she hated it so much. I blocked off areas of the first floor with an x-pen and baby gates, and just let her follow me around. I think it helped her get used to her new home and feel secure. I moved her day crate in front of the big window so she could see out - I think not being able to see their surroundings can sometimes make them nervous. She definitely liked being able to look out the window. I also noted that she used bones (try a large or extra-large Nylabone) to calm herself, and she did much better settling back down after the dogwalker left her if she was fed by my walker after their outing. To this day, my five-year-old still eats three times a day. She just does better on that feeding sched. She doesn't get MORE food - I just divide her full day's amount into three (two big meals morning and late afternoon, and the last one is a very small "snack"). But key is exercise - a tired dog is more likely to settle down and sleep when you leave him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your input. Im doing most of it but I am definitely going to get him a Kong.

I ran into the neighbor today and she said she heard him start up a couoke times but nothing crazy and only for about 5 minutes.

I guess he does know when Im actually gone as opposed to sitting silently out of sight. Lol.

·
Stanley's Dad
4 Posts
It will get better!

I set up a pen outside my pup's crate so he had a little more space. Within that enclosed space, I left him some toys, including a stuffed dog toy with a beating heart sound. In fact, I slept with that stuffed toy for 1-2 weeks before I got him so it had my scent! Maybe try leaving him one of your older shirts or a blanket with your scent so he calms down? I also put a ticking clock by his crate/pen and a battery-powered fan for more ambient noise.

Speaking of fan, maybe he gets hot? I have cold wood floors. I noticed that my pup loved sleeping on them more than even inside the crate. When I was around, he would seek the bathroom floors to sleep on.

I second the suggestion on tiring him out. I woke up early and I played with my puppy a lot around the house - hide and seek, sit/stay/come, the shell game, climbing in and out of small boxes, letting him chase balls. Playing and walking longer became easier as well after he had his shots.

I made it a point too to stay out of sight (ie take a nap in another room) regularly, so he gets used to the idea that I'm not always around but will keep coming back and so there should be no need to worry.

As he got older, he knew when I was about to go to work and would stall before I led him to his pen. I bade no grand goodbyes ever (even if i wanted to) and besides, he was so tired anyway from our playing/walking/running that he fell asleep quickly.

Hang in there! He'll grow up quickly, hopefully adjust to your routine, and then you'll be faced with a teenager :laugh:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts