Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 week puppy goes in the crate for approx 4 hrs, then we come home to let him out and play and then he is back in for another 4 hrs. The first 4 he is fine, the second he is not. He doesn't really like his crate so I'm thinking that is part of the problem. Any ideas???

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
How long is he out of the crate? He may need a bit more time before he goes back in, just so he can do his thing and get tired out before 'needing' to go have a rest. You can also give him bones or a kong with a smear of peanut butter to keep him busy. Don't let him out for making noise either, or he'll learn that screaming gets the door open.

I'm puppy 'sitting' at the moment and he's been very good about his crate, he'll fuss here and there but as a rule I put him in when he's finished racing around the house and has flopped on the floor to sleep anyway. This morning he decided six was a good time to start to fuss though, so I just tapped the top of the crate when he did fuss, and he soon went back to sleep for another hour. Good puppy!

Please share pics of your pup too!

Lana

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is up usually for about 2 good hours before we put him in and I am taking him out, walking him, playing ball, etc. Now I when I take him out when I come home for lunch, it is only for about 20 mins but he does go pee and poop and I walk him and still try to play alittle. I do believe some of it is separation anxiety.

We had a golden before and he loved his crate and never went in it unless he was sick. Brodie is definitely not the same with that aspect and I don't know how to correct it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 10 week puppy goes in the crate for approx 4 hrs, then we come home to let him out and play and then he is back in for another 4 hrs. The first 4 he is fine, the second he is not. He doesn't really like his crate so I'm thinking that is part of the problem. Any ideas???
Try feeding him in his crate and doing other things to associate his crate with positive events, eg throw a treat in his crate and give him his command to go in (we say "go to bed"). Or, store his favorite toys in his crate so he has to go in to get them.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I find it hard to imagine that any puppy actually enjoys time in a crate...so I have no idea what to suggest to make it better...apart from less time in it. In my opinion 8 hours a day is far too long for any dog, never mind a young puppy to be in solitary confinement. Is there anybody that can care for the puppy when you cannot? I don't want to sound negative but I think it is slight mis-use of a crate, I'm sure they were not designed to keep puppies in for such long hours. Yes, crates have their place to help with toilet training and confinement for a couple of hours but 8 hours daily? Hopefully its not an every day thing.

Is there any way of hiring a dog walker/puppy sitter for an hour or so in the afternoon? Your puppy copes with the first 4 hours because he is tired from the two hours of play before going in. During the second stint he will be very alert, bored and lonely. An hour interaction mid-afternoon will really improve his day. I don't think you could consider a pup that is in a crate for 8 hours as having 'separation anxiety', I think it could be considered as normal...it would be very abnormal for a pup not to get upset alone for that long! Really hope you can sort something out...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the posts...I will try some of those things and hopefully he will get better with it everyday. My parents are going to stop over and take him out for while around lunch time so we will see if that will help. Thanks again!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Jonikenny

Jonikenny

I wouldn't say that my dogs when they were pups or even young adults loved the crate, but then we didn't expect them, too. We used the crate to potty train and to keep THEM SAFE as well as the house safe while we were gone.

Many people HAVE to work and can't afford to have their dogs walked during the day while they're at work. Where I live in Illinois it costs $17 a 1/2 hr. to have two dogs walked. If you multiply that by 5 days a wk., 4 wks. a month
that comes out to: $340 a month.

P.S. THE suggestion to cover the crate with a sheet so it's more denlike is a good one. It worked for us.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I would just tire him out more and wait it out. My golden is 4 years old and her crate is still up. We don't lock her in it any more, and haven't for about 2 years. I even took it down about a month ago because its huge and I was getting tired of moving it to vacuum under it. She started to act funny and mopey and I didn't really pay much attention to it until I saw her laying in the corner where her crate used to be. So I set her crate back up and she is back to her normal happy go lucky self. She loves her crate and will lay and sleep in it all the time.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Sounds like the pup is well rested midday and needs a bit of a physical release, I know that's hard to do when working. If you know of someone that you trust that could let the pup out to play for a while mid-day, would make it much easier. My daughter has a neighbor that comes to the house and plays/walks the pup every work day and only charges $5/day. Puppy is happier and has a chance to socialize...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts