Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Flatcoat/Golden mix momma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We brought Hendrix home two weeks ago tomorrow. She's now ten weeks old.
We're not crating her, mostly for space - instead, she's in the kitchen with a babygate on the door. She's almost housetrained - she'll sit at the back door in the daytime to be let out, and will whine at night to be let out which is of course fine. Of course there are a few puddles still but fewer and further between! (They usually happen at the back door when we've taken our eyes off her for five seconds!).
However, I've always crate trained dogs before AND always lived in a detached house when doing so. Now, I live in a terrace and am very aware of noise with the neighbours.
Whenever we leave the kitchen, Hendrix whines and yowls. At night, after being let out, she won't settle and will whine and whine until we go down. We always make sure to only let her see us or hear us in the moments she's quiet, but we can't just let her keep whining through the night because I'm very aware the neighbours can all hear.

It's not the night that bothers us so much - but the daytime. She will whine and yowl and howl and bark and jump at the babygate if she's awake and you're in another room. When she's asleep it's of course fine - puppy sleeps are deep! It's not that she needs letting out, she just wants attention. I work from home three days a week (in the kitchen!) and the other days my partner is at home so she has had someone around 24/7 since we got her. I'm worried about what'll happen when we have to leave the house at the same time!

I've tried leaving her a few minutes then treating when she is quiet, a few minutes more then going back and treating again, a few minutes longer etc. But she doesn't seem to be getting it.

Am I expecting too much of a 10 week old? I've only ever had pups from 12 weeks on in the past, have always crated, and had responsible adults (aka parents) looking after them. Hendrix is my first!

Any suggestions on how to get her to be OK being left alone would be great. She has a blanket that smells of her littermates, a top that smells of me, a kong with treats, and the radio on. Any other ideas?!

Will this get better once we can take her out for walks? We can tire her out a bit more I suppose!

Thanks so much for your help :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
House trained 10 week old pup is a fantastic achievement.....congratulations you have beaten my best by many weeks.

The pup will grow out of it in time. I have multiple dogs so they keep each other company. They just don't like to be alone but will stop whining in time.

·
Premium Member
18,561 Posts
It is a little too much to expect for her to be ok being left alone. She came from a litter of siblings, to being essentially alone. She will do better over time.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yes she still so little and is only 2 weeks out from being with liter mates for 8 weeks

in time she will get used to it, mine will be 11 months this month and follows us every where still hates to be alone.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
She's still a baby. Its going to take some time. My bridge girl was crate trained in under a week. I thought Piper was going to get me evicted. She did NOT appreciate being away from the action. She still doesn't, she loves her crate now, although if she's crated and things are quiet in the apartment for a while, and then someone calls and I'm on the phone, she sometimes starts barking to be let out. And she's 5 months old, and I've been consistent with her...she doesn't get let out for bad behavior haha. She has learned "quiet" though :)

I've found that ignoring works. It might be harder to make the connection between "quiet" and treat, unless you are really working it and do it persistently throughout the entire day (like, first every minute, then five, then ten, then 20, etc). The instinct for a puppy to cry when they are alone is pretty strong. Their reward is being let out for being quiet.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! She is doing so well with so many things, it really is just the whining. I think I've also had rose tinted memories of puppies when I was younger, I probably missed out on all the night crying that the parents dealt with!

I forget she's just a baby sometimes because she's already got such a personality and is a pretty smart dog (although we had our first poo-eating incident last night...) so I guess you're right I just need to wait it out. I have spoken to our neighbours now and explained we're training her so she might be a bit loud, and they all surprised me actually by being really understanding and saying to not worry about it. I know our walls are thin so I KNOW they're lying when they say they don't hear her - there's no way you couldn't, I heard her when I was still parking up out front the other day! But for them to be so nice about it has put me a bit more at ease (neighbours on one side have a 1 yr old baby and essentially said 'we can't exactly complain after all the noise she makes, Hendrix is your baby like our daughter is ours so it's fine'!).

It's just nice to know other people have had the same problem/I'm not being cruel by leaving her to cry/it's OK to try quiet time training if I can.

Thanks so much for responding to a newbie :) x

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Can't she just be with you wherever you are when you're home? NO reason to leave her in the kitchen if you're in the other room watching TV. Bring her in with you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
She is very young and I'm sure she'll get there.
I do think you need to be very careful that she doesn't make the link between whining and you coming back - I know its incredibly hard to leave her making a racket when you have neighbours to worry about, but if just once your pup feels that whining has bought you back to her, she will be more determined next time.
Have you tried leaving her with a stuffed / frozen Kong, to initially distract her from being left? That may allow you enough time without puppy whining to build up the time that you leave her, starting with very short periods, going back to her whilst she is still busy with the Kong. If she's distracted with the Kong and not whining, she can learn that you come back to her when she is quiet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Can't she just be with you wherever you are when you're home? NO reason to leave her in the kitchen if you're in the other room watching TV. Bring her in with you.
Sorry - I didn't mean to emphasize the NO in that sentence. Just a typo. :smile2:

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we've had an interesting couple of days!
We want to be able to have her happy in the kitchen when, for example, we're upstairs, as she's not allowed in the bedroom so it's important to start as we go on - otherwise yes, we'd have her with us all the time!

We had to leave her for about half an hour the other day, and I came home from work expecting to hear barking and whining... nothing. Got in, she was waiting at the babygate all calm, no puddles or destruction. I think she must only really, really whine when she knows we're at home.

Night time has become so much better, too. She'll only wake up twice, and whine a tiny bit to be let out. She now settles straight back to sleep, as I've started to only sit outside the kitchen at the babygate for a few minutes so she knows I'm there, rather than sitting on the floor/in the kitchen with her. She's got the message that night time is not playtime.

And, last night it was her first big thunderstorm! I listened out for ten minutes... nothing. Came downstairs, she was just chilling out with a toy, wagging her tail, not even phased. We stood with the back door open for a minute (because it was normal wee time so I was going to let her go on the concrete yard just outside the door if she really needed to go) and she looked at me, then the rain, then back at me, and went back to her toy! Raging storm outside... doesn't care. So she's a pretty good girl really!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts