Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my English Cream Golden Retriever to the vet yesterday for vaccinations and the vet diagnosed my boy with bilateral, non descended testicles and said there wasn't a chance his testicles would descend if it hasn't descended by now. I'm curious if members of this forums have seen the testes descend on their puppies at a date later than 10 weeks, and what the upper range of acceptable time frames could be (up to 6 months??)

I did not plan on breeding the dog, but I did plan on waiting til the puppy was 2 years old before neutering to allows for full development and growth, or was considering a vasectomy only. I'm hoping the chances of bilateral cryptorchidism as this age is so low that he is most likely just a late bloomer. In otherwords, if one testicle had descended and the other remained retracted, unilateral non descended testicle would be an obvious conclusion. But given the puppy is only 10 weeks old and both testicles can not be palpated, I'm thinking he is a late bloomer.

Please let me know if you have had a late bloomer and what age the testes descended....FYI-I contacted the breeder and they were pretty cool and said not to worry... any advice is greatly appreciated...thank you!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My puppy has unilateral cryptorchidism (i'm not actually sure if that's the correct term for it, but he has one descended testicle and one non-descended testicle). I'm not sure when we found out about is cryptorchidism, but he'll be seven months on Monday and the second one still hasn't dropped, I doubt it will.
However, we're still waiting until he's 12-18 months old before we neuter him. The neuter will be more like a spay, in the sense that it's more invasive and the recovery period will be longer.
There could be a chance that at least one of your pup's testicle could descend, I'm not sure what the chances of that happening are, but if they don't descend soon, they probably won't descend at all. For Kaizer, when he was 12* weeks or so, our vet told us that his second testicle probably wouldn't descend.

*I made up 12 weeks, but it definitely was around that point

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
It is not too late. Did the breeder check to see if he had any upon you purchasing him? Did the breeder bring him to the vet.

I have had a puppy that I bred drop the other testicle at 5 months. But, I bred another puppy that neither descended down and he is 8 months now.

When pups are nervous, the vet might have a hard time looking for them as they can go back up. Some vets are better than others about feeling for them.

I wouldn't give up hope. I would still wait to neuter him (even if both do not drop).

Reactions: nolefan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The breeder never did disclose to my that the testes had not descended. As a first time buyer, I should have done some more research and asked first. I never thought to check. The breeder claims that larger breeds, mature quicker, and thus its typical to have "late bloomers." Now at 11 weeks, there is clearly nothing descending... I guess its just a waiting game.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I would not count on them coming down. Yes, there is still a chance but it is very slim. I have seen a bot with one retained (but palpable) come down around 5 months but have not seen it with two. Also, there is one testicle more likely to still drop than the other. I can't quite recall at this moment which it is.

I agree either way, neutering at an appropriate age will take care of the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
It's funny I just bought a boy a couple of weeks ago. I asked the breeder about the puppy possibly being crypto. She said no. I honestly didn't check myself. He has been to the vet and she checked, so I think we're good. But it reminds me that I should have checked myself when I purchased the puppy. But a strange person grabbing his privates may not have made him happy and he might have retained them if I had. I have heard of testicles dropping later in life. But better safe than sorry.

Reactions: macdougallph1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Neither of my pups testicles have descended and he's almost 6 months old. Both my vet and breeder say the risks of neutering early far outweigh the risk of developing cancer due to cryptochidism at such an early age, so I'm waiting until 18 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@bradenWeber, do you mind posting which Breeder?

We just got our little guy from Indiana and think he might be in the same category.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Joy had one testicles descended and the other was still in the abdomen during a VET check around 12 weeks, the VET felt the testicles and informed me that we will need to give him more time and check, around 16 weeks- he had his Testicles both of them descended. so i think waiting a little bit more does not harm and might turn out to be good. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts