Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Golden lovers!
Our Cleo is now 10 weeks old. Last night we all noticed that suddenly her head looks bigger (a bit wider, rounder and blockier) and she seems to be going through a bit of a growth spurt. This morning I immediately noticed that she was holding her right ear a bit funny. I checked to make sure there was no ear infection-- one of our goldens had chronic ear infections and held her ears like that whenever they bothered her- and her ears look perfect on the inside. Is this normal during a growth spurt? Will her ear return to normal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She shakes her head a little, but not what I would say is abnormal or what I've seen in my dogs when their ears were bothering them. But she's a baby and we have yet to see how she deals with pain. We are going today and will see what the vet says. Her ears look fine inside, but I'm worried about the actual cartilige. I'm obviously not a vet though, just a dog owner who has dealt with many ear infections with past dogs. We are concerned and hoping it is just related to her growth spurt.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
I've never seen an ear do that independently of the other and I have raised hundreds of puppies.
Maybe ask the vet if you're there anyway whether there are collagen diseases you can worry about..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet advised us to clean the ears and after cleaning her ears Cleo started holding her one ear normally, but it just went back to being wonky again. I've read on the labrador forum that this happens around this age due to teething, but I haven't found anything online with Goldens. It certainly doesn't seem to be a common thing. She did just have a big growth spurt, and we're hoping it's related to growth and it will go back to normal. Is it possible it could be an injury?

I don't feel like our vet was very helpful at all, and actually told us today, 10 days after her initial appointment, that she was positive for coccidia! Our last puppy had coccidia 2 days after we bought her and it nearly killed her, so knowing how extreme it can get you would think that they would have informed us as soon as her lab work was back and not let our puppy sit around with intestinal parasites! Then they told us we would get one medication and gave us another. We want to change vets because no one seems to know what they are doing and there are so many miscommunications at this office all the time. (Recently our dog Roxy went in for a visit and we had miscommunications then as well.) I understand that Covid has the vets doing carside pick ups, but the amount of miscommunication has us feeling like we can no longer trust our vet. We followed a vet we loved (Dr. Pessin) to this office and since he retired we have had one bad experience after another.

How can I find a reputable vet in the area? We live in Rochester, NY (specifically Penfield suburbs) and would really appreciate a vet recommendations or tips on finding a good vet.

Thankfully Cleo didn't have coccidia as bad as Roxy did when she was a pup and she is on medication now!

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
What I see now and then when puppies are teething is the pasterns dropping or drooling- not ear issues. Maybe someone else who raises lots has a different view... If you were given Albon for the cocci, that doesn't kill them just interferes with the cocci's ability to reproduce. There are some other meds that are actual coccidicides, toltrazuril or ponazuril, but generally require compounding in a sense (they are horse meds and must be diluted correctly) and not all vets keep a tube of Marquis (ponazuril) on hand for this. Finding a good vet- that's hard. When I moved 5 years ago, I hated leaving my vets more than leaving my town- and I was moving to a place that had good repro available and a pet vet I could see on minutes notice since I had lived here 30 years ago too and he was still practicing. But finding the OTHER things, like OFAs and a second pet vet for those things I needed without driving 30 min to the repro, that was hard. And a good ER is hard too- I have one in town associated w UF but I would rather drive 35 min to UF than see interns unless it is a true time sensitive emergent thing. Call around, ask how long office visits are and how much the fee is for an office visit.. ask if they have a consult/meet n greet available....ask if they deworm puppies automatically (because I think vets who do this rather than only deworm when they see something on fecal are more realistic) or only when fecal is positive, ask if they call in scripts or charge to do so, and maybe see if you can find a Golden breeder or handler nearby and ask them who they use.

·
Puddles
3,971 Posts
Have you addressed this with your breeder? Maybe they can offer a more experienced vet in your area. Who knows maybe she has seen this in her pups before. Is there a vet school nearby? These guys love mysteries.
I've seen something like this but it was noticed as soon as the ears dropped. There was a nerve that was pulling the ear out of position. Didn't take much to resolve this, it was more cosmetic than anything.
I hope you get answers, such a sweet face!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We did get ponazuril for the coccidia. Originally they were going to give us Albon. (Hence the whole - told us they were giving us one medication and then gave us something else.) Cleaning after coccidia is a pain, especially in the yard it seems practically impossible. The dewormer the vet gave at the first visit didn't cover coccidia, but they did give one preemptively.

As far as finding a new vet goes... with covid it is hard to meet all the vets so I've been reading lots of online reviews to see what people say. I might do a facebook post and see what other people locally recommend but a lot of dog owners don't treat their dogs like family like we do... What should I look for in a vet specifically? We aren't super concerned about cost, we just want a really good vet who is reliable, experienced and has a more organized office.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the ear is more forward, but they're still not even. Still haven't figured out exactly why, but we should be switching vets and maybe the new vet will have a clue. Or maybe it will just stay like that, who knows. It's kinda cute and we love her no matter what, but it is a bit of a mystery. If it was teething or an ear infection she is holding it more forward so it doesnt look to be bothering her as bad if that's what it was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ear flap wasn't swollen at all from the time we got her until now. But the other day we did notice a tiny little bump on the inside of the ear flap. It was raised almost like a pimple and disappeared the next day. Wish I got a picture. It was maybe the width of the tip of a toothpick or a little smaller. Which led us to suspect ear mites or fleas because it almost looked like it could have been a tiny bite, but there are no fleas to be found and no other signs of ear mites! (They say to look for coffee ground like ear gunk.) We are hoping to get cytology done the next vet visit to see if it's an ear infection. But we've has so much experience with ear infections that I wouldn't think that was it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first golden ended up have hematoma in both ears. If you feel the bottom of her ear there could be blood pooled in it. What happens is the skin pulls away the the ear cartilage and creates a pocket.

·
Premium Member
18,165 Posts
Wouldn't we have seen a hematoma? She is handled from top to bottom all the time.
A hemotoma would present as a swollen ear flap that feels soft with fluid inside the swelling. Think large blister, only filled with blood. Or it can be a small area, not the whole flap.

Has she done something that might have folded the ear for a period of time?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts