Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’ve been lurking on this forum for the past couple of days and have to realize that all puppies are unique. But I still want to make sure my Simba is getting enough play time. He’s 10 weeks old, turning 11 weeks on Wednesday. This his schedule:
6:45 wake up and potty break
7:00 breakfast and play ( I do some training with his kibble and put some in a puzzle toy. But he gets bored of his toy pretty quickly and of the training so I have to put the rest in his bowl to be sure he’s eating enough)
8-8:30 another pee break and then I put him in his crate for his nap
10-10:30 another pee/potty break
10-30 - 11:00 more play time and some training if he’s active
11:00 nap time
12:00-12:15 it’s another pee break and then time for lunch (I repeat the whole process as his breakfast)
12:45ish: I leave him alone to play after feeding his lunch so he plays for a little bit but then he goes to sleep pretty fast around this time)
2:00-2:30ish depending on when he wakes up: time for another pee/potty break
2:30-3:30: more training with treats, some play and then I have him play by himself
3:30: back in his crate for nap
5:00 - 5:30: wakes up, pee/potty break, dinner time (repeat training plus puzzle and then play)
5:30: take him for a 20-30min walk at the local park
6:30: pee break and then crate for his nap
8:30: pee break and then last playtime plus some training with treats and then leave him to play by himself
9:30ish: potty break then bedtime (last night was the first night he mostly slept the whole night. I had to wake him up after about 5 hours to take him out for a pee and that was a long wee. He then slept until his morning potty break)

Some more details:
He gets to play around in the back yard without leash for 10-15 mins as well in the morning and night. We play some fetch but he does get distracted very quickly by something else. I have him on a leash when he does his business though.
He’s about 15 lbs and his diamond puppy food bag says to feed a 10lbs puppy 1 and 3/4 cups a day. But Simba only eats 1.5 cups a day of food. So I’m also worried he’s not eating enough for his weight.
He’s pretty active in the morning after his breakfast and dinner but he’s pretty lethargic around lunch time. That’s also the time I give him a lot of play time by himself besides doing some training with his kibble and some treats. I’m worried his lethargy is due to boredom. Please let me know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Puppies generally need a lot of sleep. My 6 month old takes a long afternoon nap anywhere from 3-5 hours. He goes to bed around 10:30 and sleeps until 7 or 8 in the morning. He plays HARD when he's up, but crashes when he's tired. He gets pretty tired after a training session or a long walk as well. Maybe he's lazy??? I bet your little one isn't bored, just sleepy! Sounds like he's doing well and he's pretty darn cute!!!

·
Kristy
10,252 Posts
What a cute little guy :) He sounds like a very normal little puppy. Babies need lots of sleep to grow and he is going to nap a LOT. Sounds like you're doing well with the schedule. If you've had a lot of heat where you live, that could also make him less energetic. As the weather cools off this fall you'll see a big jump in how perky he is on crisp mornings.

The bag of food is a rule of thumb, as long as he eats every day and he's gaining weight slowly and steadily, don't worry. That amount sounds normal, you can weigh him yourself and track it (weight yourself holding him and then subtract your weight to get his). Most vets will allow you to drop by for a weight check anytime you're concerned so discuss your concerns with your vet. He is better off to be a leaner weight and you can talk to the vet about keeping him on the lighter end of the spectrum. It will help him have healthier joints and a longer, healthier life, just like with people.

Be creative and take him places where you can carry him or let him ride on a blanket in a shopping cart to meet people - tractor supply store, hardware store or garden center, Cabellas or similar outdoor stores are usually welcoming as well. Just be sure to potty your puppy before taking him in and have a backpack with babywipes and poop bags handy. Take lots of treats and ask anyone who makes eye contact to help you train your puppy.

If you just take him in a crate in the car and let him ride a long on errands like car wash, gas station, dropping off library books or dry cleaning etc. it is good for him to just get out and about. It will be great for him and you won't worry about boredom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Puppies generally need a lot of sleep. My 6 month old takes a long afternoon nap anywhere from 3-5 hours. He goes to bed around 10:30 and sleeps until 7 or 8 in the morning. He plays HARD when he's up, but crashes when he's tired. He gets pretty tired after a training session or a long walk as well. Maybe he's lazy??? I bet your little one isn't bored, just sleepy! Sounds like he's doing well and he's pretty darn cute!!!
I'm so glad. I feel like I'm constantly worrying about everything he does or doesn't do. The only thing I'm worried about now is when I leave him to play on his own, he'll bark and bark and bark when he doesn't see me. Then he'll go to play with some of his toys but he doesn't play for long, maybe 5-10 mins. The rest of the time he just sits there until it's time for his nap or he falls asleep on the floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a cute little guy :) He sounds like a very normal little puppy. Babies need lots of sleep to grow and he is going to nap a LOT. Sounds like you're doing well with the schedule. If you've had a lot of heat where you live, that could also make him less energetic. As the weather cools off this fall you'll see a big jump in how perky he is on crisp mornings.

The bag of food is a rule of thumb, as long as he eats every day and he's gaining weight slowly and steadily, don't worry. That amount sounds normal, you can weigh him yourself and track it (weight yourself holding him and then subtract your weight to get his). Most vets will allow you to drop by for a weight check anytime you're concerned so discuss your concerns with your vet. He is better off to be a leaner weight and you can talk to the vet about keeping him on the lighter end of the spectrum. It will help him have healthier joints and a longer, healthier life, just like with people.

Be creative and take him places where you can carry him or let him ride on a blanket in a shopping cart to meet people - tractor supply store, hardware store or garden center, Cabellas or similar outdoor stores are usually welcoming as well. Just be sure to potty your puppy before taking him in and have a backpack with babywipes and poop bags handy. Take lots of treats and ask anyone who makes eye contact to help you train your puppy.

If you just take him in a crate in the car and let him ride a long on errands like car wash, gas station, dropping off library books or dry cleaning etc. it is good for him to just get out and about. It will be great for him and you won't worry about boredom.
It does get pretty hot out here, this whole week is high 90's and into the 100's on a couple of days. Sometimes, I have to carry him out to the backyard and to his spot because he refuses to step outside in the afternoon. That's also the time when he's less energetic. When I leave him alone, he'll bark constantly at first, then will quiet down and play with some of his toys for maybe 5-10 mins and then he'll lie down on the floor on his stomach and just sits there until it's time for his nap.

Taking him for car rides is a great idea. I'll have to try that. It's hard to get such a young puppy socialized because most puppy day cares around me ask for the rabies shot and that's not until he's 13 weeks old. Thanks for the great ideas.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Sounds like a normal puppy with a very well documented itinerary.

·
Kristy
10,252 Posts
.... The only thing I'm worried about now is when I leave him to play on his own, he'll bark and bark and bark when he doesn't see me. Then he'll go to play with some of his toys but he doesn't play for long, maybe 5-10 mins. The rest of the time he just sits there until it's time for his nap or he falls asleep on the floor.
Dogs are generally hard wired to want to be around people, but Goldens are a retrieving breed who are particularly wanting to be in contact with their people. They don't play by themselves much, they want to interact with you. That means you don't get a lot of down time for the first couple of years with a Golden - it's like having a toddler. If he's awake he wants your attention. If you don't give it to him, he will find entertain himself in ways you won't like. As he gets older and more independent it will become destructive behavior. That's why crating when you can't watch is so important. When he's crated or penned, have something special that he can chew on - raw beef shanks from the butcher cut into cross sections are wonderful, a kong that is stuffed with some watered down broth, yogurt, kibble, banana, peanutbutter combo etc. and then frozen is also a wonderful thing to give. Chewing is a great way to burn energy for them and keeps them occupied when you have to do things instead of play. There is also a toy called a "Pickle Pocket" you can stuff with kibble or a little peanut butter. Worth every penny.

If you don't own a children's plastic wading pool, it's a great investment. Fill it up with water and play outside in the shade with that, or play in the hose. Get creative and blow bubbles on a breezy day, check into DIY tutorials for building agility equipment like a wobble board, buy a children's tunnel (heavy duty is better - look for a sale) and use treats to show him how fun all this is. Use the search feature on this forum and look up books and websites and youtube videos that are recommended for puppy training. Tons of recommendations here. My favorite DVD is Jackie Mertens Sound Beginnings which gives you the foundation for building a retrieve - worth spending time to do. Best skill you can teach after recall. The more time you spend just doing stuff with him for the first year or two, the closer the bond will be as an adult.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts