Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Great site TW. Loved the one about fur + clothes + food - how true!

Also should add that Goldens think like this: I have a tongue - you have a face - let's see if we can make something of that (Dr. Stanley Coren) :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
mojosmum said:
I have a tongue - you have a face - let's see if we can make something of that
That's good.

Maybe I'm a little strange but I have never been opposed to a dog licking me. I know, I know - they put their mouths in some pretty funky places. But doggy kisses are special and I like them. Even strange dogs seem to be my friends and licks go along with that friendship. I must admit that I get uneasy (sometimes) when they want to lick my lips.

Why am I talking about this???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Waiting for a puppy - advice needed on potty training

Have seen a few puppies this week and am trying to decide on a breeder.
hard thing to decide. I wish I could hire someone to do this.

I have wanted a GR for 25 years and look forward to some real fun. I am sooo excited.

My only concern is that I work full time. leave the house 7:30am and return
5:00 pm. I can work from home at least once a week every week and have 5 weeks vacation to spend training this puppy. I can run home (half an hr drive) and go back lunchtime if I need to. I am home weekends.
For now my husband is home two days a week working a part time job.
I want the puppy to have all the attention it deserves yet I need to work at this time and am wondering how to contain this puppy at this point without
keeping it locked in one room for the day. althought I will do this if it is a "normal" thing to do. the more people I talk to the more confused I become. I haven't had a dog in 30 years.

It's been suggested that I need to learn if crate train this puppy. that's sounds harsh. I have a cat who roams the house and needs access to a litter box in the basement and who will not be a problem.

I am trying to figure out if I can crate train the puppy for a few months until it is potty trained, not chewing, etc. and maybe separate the crate into a food/water/sleep section and a potty section as suggested.

any ideas?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Boogity: I don't have any problems with doggy kisses either. It drives my family crazy if the dogs decide to lick my feet or legs though. To me it's just a wet foot massage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't have problems with doggy kisses either. My golden LOVES to lick, he'll lick my legs, hands, faces. He even licks my pants if I don't have enough leg for him to lick and when i'm cuddling him he'll lick my ears and hair. I rather him lick then nip.

Rocky's so adorable too, he'll lick for a while, then get a little curious and give you a really light nip, I do a little yelp just so he doesn't try to bite even harder and he stops and gives you this sorry look and lick you like he's trying to say sorry for hurting you:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
YOU LIKE EVERYTHING TO STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU PUT IT
. Goldens have a last name - “Retriever”, from the Latin meaning “to put EVERYTHING in your mouth and dance around with it!” The retrieving instinct SHOULD be a part of every Golden so if you object strongly to your dog happily strutting out to greet company with your underwear in his mouth – perhaps you should continue your search for the perfect breed.

I LOVE this one. Jude cannot let the rug stay in front of the sink, and the dirty clothes in the hamper.

But who can resist a big, sweet, loving best friend?

·
Registered
54 Posts
puppy

School is out a puppy walker? Crate training is very good and to me not cruel at all. Only for a few hours at a time though. At night they can stay the night if pottied at the right times. Mine sleep in the crate on their own during the day it is their little den. Good Luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Boogity said:
That's good.

Maybe I'm a little strange but I have never been opposed to a dog licking me. I know, I know - they put their mouths in some pretty funky places. But doggy kisses are special and I like them. Even strange dogs seem to be my friends and licks go along with that friendship. I must admit that I get uneasy (sometimes) when they want to lick my lips.

Why am I talking about this???
You sound just like me! I LOVE doggy kisses, and most strange dogs, if I get close enough, will be kind enough to kiss me. That makes me feel so trusted by our four-legged furry friends.

I abide by my dogs' behavior, and if they don't like someone, I am very cautious of them. So, it only goes that if a dog trusts me enough to kiss me, I must be ok.

I've never had a dog lick my lips, but if I don't move quickly enough, I have had a dog nearly French kiss me. :yuck:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts